Wireless connection?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sastusbulbas

Wireless connection?

Post by sastusbulbas »

OK I have Mint, but I cannot seem to get it to connect to the internet? I have both Ubuntu and Mint on this as dual boot.

I have wireless, used it with Ubuntu, but is there some sort of driver or such I have to install or update? And if so how do I do such without an internet connection?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Phaedrus

Re: Wireless connection?

Post by Phaedrus »

Sounds like you need to install a proprietary wireless driver. Of course to do this you will need to initially connect via an ethernet cable to allow Mint to download the required driver.
Then > Mint Menu> Control Centre> Hardware Drivers...to enable the new driver.
sastusbulbas

Post by sastusbulbas »

that is a pain, as it means unplugging the pc, monitor, keyboard, and mouse then taking them downstairs where I will have to sit it all in front of the tv and pull out my wireless router to fit the cable.

Cant I just download a file and stick it on a usb and install it ? I am here on the same PC dual booted with Ubuntu on the same HDD connected to the internet via wireless?
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

It would be helpful if you could state the exact make and model of the wireless card.
sastusbulbas

Post by sastusbulbas »

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: VT6102 [Rhine-II]
vendor: VIA Technologies, Inc.
physical id: 12
bus info: pci@0000:00:12.0
logical name: eth0
version: 7c
serial: 00:19:66:95:3e:ed
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=via-rhine driverversion=1.4.3 latency=32 maxlatency=8 mingnt=3 multicast=yes
resources: irq:23 ioport:b000(size=256) memory:fe8ff800-fe8ff8ff
*-network
description: Network controller
product: BCM4318 [AirForce One 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller
vendor: Broadcom Corporation
physical id: 5
bus info: pci@0000:03:05.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master
configuration: driver=b43-pci-bridge latency=32
resources: irq:18 memory:feafe000-feafffff
*-network
description: Wireless interface
physical id: 1
logical name: wlan0
serial: 00:23:54:71:56:ce
capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.0.101 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
proxima_centauri

Post by proxima_centauri »

See here for instructions to get the driver up and running -> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... t%20access
Feel free to post back with any questions.
sastusbulbas

Post by sastusbulbas »

I ended up moving all the hardware guys :(

Return to “Beginner Questions”