Isadora install - nearly got it right!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
grandadmint

Isadora install - nearly got it right!

Post by grandadmint »

Hi Gurus,
Helena was falling apart - she wouldn't update and she had become completely dumb; not a sound. Time to desert her and move on to the younger, livelier Isadora. I installed Isadora O.K., but - duh - I made a mistake somewhere, because Helena is still there, haunting me. I transferred all my personal and business stuff on to an external hard-drive and back into Isadora, and that is all fine, but, how do I show Helena the door and reclaim my drive-space? Help would be much appreciated,

John.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: Isadora install - nearly got it right!

Post by dawgdoc »

Brings to mind the old joke about wife 1.0 finding out about girlfriend 0.7, girlfriend 0.7 now renamed fiancée 2.0, etc.

There is a lot unsaid and a number of variables to be clarified.

Helena and Isadora are on separate partitions, but do you have a separate home partition? Or, does each version have a /home directory in its root filesystem?

Foremost, make sure all your data is backed up, to include anything already moved into the Isadora /home. (settings, email, bookmarks, also)

If each version has a /home directory within its root filesystem, I have seen in said in the forums that you can just delete the unwanted (Helena's) partition. Use gParted on a livedCD. {Do not delete the wrong one. Backups prevent anguish.} If you have a separate /home partition, you will also have to delete the Helena /home out of it.

You may also have to re-install grub. See this post.
grandadmint

Post by grandadmint »

Thank you, dawgdoc, for your reply - and apologies for not getting back before; I posted before going away for a couple of days. I will try to follow your instructions to the letter. Unfortunately, there's no fool like an old fool, but I'll let you know how I have fared. Thanks again,
John.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

Since you have already demonstrated that you can restore your personal data, just re-install Mint, but choose the manual partitioning option. Remove the Helena partition, and reinstall Isadora into what's left. EXT4 seems to be the recommended choice for Isadora; allocate disk space = RAM for swap. Should take about 15 minutes, followed by restoring your personal data.

Return to “Beginner Questions”