Graphics seem to be sluggish (and jagged lines) 8800GT

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mint'd2010

Graphics seem to be sluggish (and jagged lines) 8800GT

Post by mint'd2010 »

I wanted to post and see if it's just me or...

I have an 8800GT 512mb GPU. However, after a fresh install of Mint 9, updates downloaded and installed, and then the NVidia driver applied as suggested. All seems OK...except for when I try to do some desktop effects. It just seems sluggish and in the Compiz cube lines get all "jaggy" when moving the cube around. I've searched and applied some of the ticks (sync) as suggested in some post but the jaggies are still there when I run the cube and I'm not sure where else to look and make adjustments and make sure my card is running right and as it should. :( When I watch some YT videos I see these effects running smooth and clean what can I say I'm an eye candy kind'a n00bie

Any suggestions?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mint'd2010

Re: Graphics seem to be sluggish (and jagged lines) 8800GT

Post by mint'd2010 »

I added a screenshot. Here you can see what I mean.
Screenshot.png
mint'd2010

Post by mint'd2010 »

I'm going to guess this is normal then... :o
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Are the jaggies only present with the desktop cube, and maybe other Compiz eye candy, or are they present in other applications?

If it is only in on the Cube, then it will probably require a bit of tinkering in CompizConfig Settings Manager to get it the way you want. (I think that is what I had to do. My issue was only in the Cube.)
mint'd2010

Post by mint'd2010 »

Hey dawgdoc,
It appears to be only in the cube and when you have "wobbly windows" on. You can see them (jaggies) when you pull the window down, lets say from a maximized state. I have also noticed in the wobbly windows some white (quick) spots when moving the windows around. in the top bar grey area of the window. I downloaded both Nvidia drivers to test this out, but nothing changes. It seems like the video card is settings may be off or just... :?
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Try the Compiz settings first, but...
If adjusting the Compiz settings does not work, open the software for the graphics driver -- > Menu > Administration (or is it Preferences) > Monitor and make changes to smoothing, anti-aliasing, etc. This does not make the changes sticky. Therefore if you truly mess things up all you need to do is reboot. To make changes permanent you would need to open the nvidia settings dialogue as root, make the changes and then save.

Code: Select all

gksu nvidia-settings

Return to “Beginner Questions”