Remote Desktop (VNC) With NVidia Driver... No Workiee

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
airjrdn

Re: Remote Desktop (VNC) With NVidia Driver... No Workiee

Post by airjrdn »

Well for instance, we were just at a hotel over the weekend, and used a public computer where we couldn't install anything. Also, there doesn't appear to be an iPad version, and their site references the web version, but given that it has problems on the XP machine I'm on, it just doesn't seem like a viable solution for me just yet.

On a different note though, I got it working in VNC, here's what I did:

Control Center - Appearance - Visual Effects tab - Select None

When I did that, things started working. I got the info from here - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=810592

It stinks that I have to do that, but at least it works again for now.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I think I mentioned turning off the effects. Glad it worked. And doesn't the iPad run OS X? Is it a "custom OSX" That is, one ported to a non-Intel chip? I don't have one, so I don't know. If it is the same OS X, then the OS X client should run whether on non-PPC mini/Desktop/laptop.
-Hinto
airjrdn

Post by airjrdn »

I don't own a Mac, so I'm not overly knowledgeable on them, but the iPhone & iPad basically share what they now refer to as iOS. Unless you jailbreak (ie mod/hack) it, your only options for installing software are via the App Store, where dev's have to submit apps for Apple's approval process. There's no installing of apps downloaded from the web, etc.

You had mentioned it earlier, but at the time, I wasn't sure what single option to check/uncheck to disable all effects. I knew where to set things individually, but not globally. I'm definitely not overly knowledgeable with Linux, so even though I had previously set that radio button to custom a week or so ago, I'd forgotten about it and the fact that there's an equivalent "None" option.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

Install Fusion-Icon, and use the Icon control to switch from Compiz to the standard desktop manager (sorry, the exact word escapes me, and not at Mint pc). This will switch off Compix (Desktop Effects), and you should find it working.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
airjrdn

Post by airjrdn »

Got it, thanks!
mint'd2010

Post by mint'd2010 »

hinto wrote:Given
1) you have the ssh server installed on your Linux Mint. (the ssh package)
2) you have the X Server installed on your Mac http://developer.apple.com/opensource/t ... ngx11.html

start the xterm on OS X, then ssh -X [your Linux Mint pc]. You can then start any app on Mint and it will send the display back to you.

BTW.. Which VNC client are you using on your Mac?
-Hinto
WOW :shock: this thread grew... hinto my apologies for getting back late. Thanks for posting on the SSH. I was using OSX screen sharing and chicken of the VNC. I'm going to revisit this this evening and see if the solutions listed here do the trick. I was away from my Mint RIG.
deleted

Post by deleted »

I use chicken of the VNC, too.
I think you'll have to turn off desktop effects on your Linux Mint in order to see the VNC-ed session.
-Hinto
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

hinto wrote:I use chicken of the VNC, too.
I think you'll have to turn off desktop effects on your Linux Mint in order to see the VNC-ed session.
-Hinto

Yes, he (I assume the poster is a "he") will need to do so.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.

Return to “Beginner Questions”