Monitor flickers in LM 9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
oc999

Monitor flickers in LM 9

Post by oc999 »

Hi,

dont know if this is the right area to post this but since I think the solution might be simple I put this in newbie questions.

I've been running LM 8 for months on my laptop now - which I actually use as a desktop with a second monitor connected to it.
It was all configured to have a big virtual desktop and it worked perfectly without even tweaking any file manually.

After installing LM 9 the LCD monitor ( the second one - which is connected to the VGA out of my laptop - Dell Inspiron 6400 - its a Belinea 10 19 06 )
flickers all the time. I can see the image on it but the flickering gets very disturbing after some time watching it.
I figured it has to be something related to the frequency rate and LM 9 not recognizing the LCD correctly ( monitor configuration shows it as unknown and doesnt show the supported modes ).
Since LM 9 ( or Ubuntu 10 ) doesnt use a xorg.conf anymore , I dont really know what to do now to fix this. The last time this happened to me ( some older Ubuntu 8 days ) I just had to manually put in the frequency range into the xorg.conf and the supported modes and it worked perfectly then.
Google told me this now is stored in ~/.config/monitors.xml - but I dont understand where the frequency range should go or how to set it up. I tried changing the resolution and the frequency there to the maximum ( 1280x1024 / 75 Hz ) but after restarting X it wouldnt apply any change.
Would be thankful if anyone could either tell me how to fix this monitors.xml or how to make LM 9 create me a xorg.conf file so I can edit it and make it work ( if thats even possible ).
Thanks in advance!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Monitor flickers in LM 9

Post by remoulder »

oc999 wrote:The last time this happened to me ( some older Ubuntu 8 days ) I just had to manually put in the frequency range into the xorg.conf and the supported modes and it worked perfectly the
Works the same way now. You can still create an xorg.conf and put specific resolutions and refresh rates in there if the auto negotiation between your display and graphics card doesn't properly identify them all, which in many case it doesn't. If you are unsure how to create an xorg.conf, you can either copy a basic one from the web or get the system to create it for you - there's a tutorial in the howto section. You only need the relevant section, anything else will be ignored anyway. The monitors.xml is created and managed by the Monitors gui and simply hold's your screen settings.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.

Return to “Beginner Questions”