This place seems to be down a lot.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rollup

This place seems to be down a lot.

Post by rollup »

Is this normal?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: This place seems to be down a lot.

Post by mick55 »

If you mean this, then I can say it's not normal.....

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
....but it sure has been happening a LOT the last 3 or 4 weeks. :P

mick
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

I posted about this 3 weeks ago and got no meaningful response.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=50881
jesica

Post by jesica »

I never had a problem yet, thankfully
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

mick55 wrote:If you mean this, then I can say it's not normal.....

Code: Select all

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Too many connections [1040]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
I've been an active member of LInuxMint Forums for about 2 years now . . . and over the past month is the first time I've noticed this.
It does seem to 'self-correct' without too much delay or inconvenience.

Seems to be a server problem?

I'm sure the Mint Devs are looking into this.
vrkalak

Post by vrkalak »

I found another post on another thread in this Forum, that addresses this same problem:
DrHu wrote:
COKEDUDE wrote:Could anyone tell me what the connection limit of forum is. I get this message quite often.
It is more likely (if it is not a problem that is affecting everyone visiting the site), that your problem is the quality of your ISP/Internet connection
--it is also likely to happen more often with wireless connections than wired connections, due to the nature of a wireless connection method (which connects/disconnects, depending on signal qualities and reception strength (# of bars showing is a rough measure)

And your point is what, that a web site has limited resources available for users?

Or that some users might be swamping a web site, by opening too many connections, in an attempt to speedup their web browsers at the expense of everyone else using that web site ?
DataMan

Post by DataMan »

My take on it for what it's worth. I accessed the site this morning (04:00 EDT) and was refused access also on several attempts. Eventually I got through but it was sporatic. There are a finite number of connections that the MySQL server can accommodate per hosted site. When I see MySQL error messages of this sort, I'm tending toward site attacks by some of the kiddie hackers that abound these days.

Just a guess on my part... :idea:

-DataMan
rollup

Post by rollup »

Very difficult forum to get on this.
The only forum I have problems connecting to.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

I work nights so I generally browse and post to the forums form 2:30AM to 5:00AM (US Central Time) and I've been noticing the exact same error message a lot lately.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

I ran in to this error just last week, and went to XChat. Other Users had experianced it as well.

That is the first and last time, thus far, that I have ever had an issue.

FYI,
Dave

Return to “Beginner Questions”