maintaince help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
snodgrss1984

maintaince help

Post by snodgrss1984 »

hey i am using linux mint lxde and i would like to know how to defrag and scan disk my drive because i have been installing millions of systems and it has froze a million times and now not even my graphics card is recognized.... how would i do disk check and defrag and thank you
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cra1g321

Re: maintaince help

Post by cra1g321 »

im near 99% sure you cant defrag a linux filesystem
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: maintaince help

Post by JoeFootball »

snodgrss1984 wrote:how would i do disk check and defrag
Perhaps you're looking for the fsck command?

EDIT: I'm pretty sure that GParted offers a "Check" (or similar nomenclature) function when you right-click the partition in question. Not sure how it differs from fsck (if at all) but it's helped me more than once.

Joe

Return to “Beginner Questions”