[SOLVED] adding XFCE

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MerelyJim

[SOLVED] adding XFCE

Post by MerelyJim »

Is there an easy way to add the Xfce desktop so that I can choose between Gnome the other? Just getting the new version of Gnome was a pain to install because of a goofy video chipset that Toshiba used five years ago on my old laptop.

Tried [sudo apt-get xfce] and got a prompt "no," from the terminal installer... Ha.

There's no reason I *have* to get Xfce installed, save it's something different to play with.

Thanks for any info or suggestions, in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aging Technogeek

Re: adding XFCE

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The package you want is "xfce4". This is the meta package for the XFCE desktop. It will pull in all packages required to install the XFCE desktop on your gnome OS.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

And after that, I usually go back and search (I use Synaptic) for "xfce" to see what other Xfce-related stuff I might want that wasn't brought in with the meta-package.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

MerelyJim wrote:Tried [sudo apt-get xfce] and got a prompt "no," from the terminal installer... Ha.
If you want to do it from the command line:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xfce4

This reminds me, if someone gives you a command to run, check it out and make sure you know what it does before you run it. You could always look it up the command's manpage, or ask someone here, if you aren't sure about it. People make mistakes, typos and so forth, even when they mean well. I try to always check a command out first. (And I hope anyone who I provide with a command will do the same!)
MerelyJim

Re: [SOLVED] adding XFCE

Post by MerelyJim »

Cool! Thanks everyone!

Return to “Beginner Questions”