( SOLVED - sort of ) Noob With Sound Problems!! HELP!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Daveman

( SOLVED - sort of ) Noob With Sound Problems!! HELP!

Post by Daveman »

:arrow: HALP! I finally got to run Linux Mint 9 LXDE from the disk (not installed) - Just to wet my toes a bit. I am sure I will LOVE Linux Mint - BUT I HAVE A CURRENT CRISES!!!
It did not detect my "Soundblaster LIVE 5.01" SoundCard!!! It only detected my RealTek sound card drivers I guess. I ran the GNOME ALSA MIXER - and only could hear whatever was picked up by the Microphone. Nothing else. I tried every setting possible.

I sing online Karaoke at SIngSnap.com - Non of the singers songs would play. I could not record even my voice there or run their SetUp Wizard - which detects your mic and playing audio.

NEXT (after I played with Linux Mint a while to get a feel for it) - I Rebooted into WindowsXP - Now my SoundBlaster and Sound Settings wont play either!!!! NOT EVEN My Microphone! The SPEAKER is permenantly Checked as Mute. I tried to Uncheck the Mute Box and it wont Uncheck at all - I MUST Get both my sound back under Windows Xp and Run under Linux Mint.

(PS - THANKS TO ALL WHO HELPED ME TO UNDERSTAND HOW TO INSTALL LINUX MINT) - Now I need help with the sound. Other than this sound Issue I think I will love Linux Mint. BUT I Must Sing My Karaoke - I am in a challenge and Have to Sing my song before 10:PM Saturday CST. Its a race against the clock... *** sweat-sweat-sweat !! ***
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Noob With Sound Problems!! HELP!

Post by Midnighter »

Have you tried going into the Sound settings? Forget where it is in Mint menu. Try Admin or System or other. Find Sound, and see if it shows both sound cards, if so, just switch from the realtek to your other. :)
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
Daveman

Re: Noob With Sound Problems!! HELP!

Post by Daveman »

Yeah - I called myself doing that using the properties and stuff on the Gnome ALSA Mixer. If there is another place to fix the sound settings without using the ALSA Mixer, let me know. It only shows the RealTek Soundcard, no other option. BUT In Windows XP it only shows my SoundBlaster Live card. Cant use either one. I hope I dont have to to wipe my HD and start all over again. Lots of stuff installed.
Daveman

Re: ( SOLVED - sort of ) Noob With Sound Problems!! HELP!

Post by Daveman »

MY RESOLVE WAS - sort of Thrust upon me. Nothing I tried could get my sound back in Windows XP or Linux Mint. Out of desperation - I removed the SoundBlaster card - and set Emachines' miracle Restoration Disk loose on the hard drive. HAHAHAHA!!!! Dont rely on Emachine or any other Restore Disk. Either get the whole OS or nothing.

Anyways Emachines Windows Re-install Crashed and Burned. I went straight to Linux Mint - did the complete install. I HAVE SOUND and MICROPHONE working!! Its not ideal - I need more time to play around with it - I like a lot about Linux - BUT I have programs that even WINE cant handle. I Seriously have to buy Windows XP or 7 for THIS Computer - and use my Rebuild Mod computer for Linux. I dont want to cop out on Linux. Its just a lot to learn and I have to be weaned off Windows at my own pace/ :)

ONE Disappointment - is I downloaded and tried to play a 1st Person Shooter game for linx (Sourgrouten or something like that) and It was UnHoly SLOW! I could not get past the Set Up page. I have a AMD 64 Dual Core processor on 2GB DDR2 memory.

I will be back and forth here. This is more of a Learning Process than just problems - so no, while I am agrivated at the situation, I am not angry with Linux Mint or its creators and fore bearers. They are to be commended. AND YOU who have tried to help - THANK YOU!. I do appreciate your efforts.

~Dave

Return to “Beginner Questions”