TrueCrypt Existing Dual Boot System

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
opticyclic

TrueCrypt Existing Dual Boot System

Post by opticyclic »

I currently have the following setup:
Primary Partition - NTFS Vista
Primary Partition2 - NTFS Vista Home
Extended Partition
- EXT4 - Linux Mint9
- EXT4 - Data directory (sym-linked to from the home dir on Mint)
- Swap

I regularly access the data on NTFS from Linux and vice-versa.

Now, my company is bringing in a policy that all laptops must be full drive encrypted and they are recommending TrueCrypt.

TrueCrypt seems to support Linux but can I do it retrospectively without reformatting?

Lots of posts and blogs seem to suggest dm-crypt instead.
If I encrypted the NTFS partitions with TrueCrypt and the EXT4 partitions with dm-crypt would that mean I couldn't access the data on NTFS from Linux and vice-versa?

Not many laptops at work have Linux on them so the work IT dept. can't really help me much.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
piratesmack

Re: TrueCrypt Existing Dual Boot System

Post by piratesmack »

I think TrueCrypt only supports full encryption on Windows.

There is some useful information on full Linux encryption in the below thread
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 62&start=0

Return to “Beginner Questions”