How can I make a disk image?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How can I make a disk image?

Postby nolag on Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:54 am

I dual boot windows 7 and I may need to do a restore on it. Windows 7's backup thing will (because they are stupid) overwrite any area of memory that it does not back up (even though as far as it knows there is nothing there it should not write to it). I want to make a disk image of mint so that I don't have to reinstall everything (don't want to waste the bw and I think it will take less time because I won't need to redo all my settings).

Help would be greatly appreciated :)
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?action=register&uid=2
nolag
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby OldManHook on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:07 am

Have you tried Clonezilla Live 1.2.5-17 Works great for Disc Imaging
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
Gandhi
User avatar
OldManHook
Level 5
Level 5
 
Posts: 506
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 5:57 am
Location: SomeWhere In The US of A

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby nolag on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 am

Thank you for the quick response. Can it create it in a folder or only on a partition? I have a hard drive that I don't want to partition, but I want the backup image to be in /LinuxBackup

Also will it allow compression? My drive won't hold the whole thing, but it will hold what I used.
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?action=register&uid=2
nolag
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby dawgdoc on Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:01 am

An option I see frequently mentioned for making an image of an installed system is Remastersys. See this thread for more info.
Image

SYSTEM: Compaq Presario CQ62 Dual-Boot: Mint 13 Gnome x32 PAE, LMDE
READING: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini
User avatar
dawgdoc
Level 9
Level 9
 
Posts: 2690
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:53 am
Location: Kentucky, USA the land of Mint Juleps

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby DataMan on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:36 am

This will do everything that you specified. I recommend running it from the System Rescue CD.

http://www.fsarchiver.org/Main_Page.

As an added bonus, it will also make images of the NTFS partitions (I'm currently backing up my wife's messy XP ... :lol: ).

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
User avatar
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1202
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:47 am
Location: Carmel, Indiana USA at /var/www

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby JoeFootball on Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:41 am

nolag wrote:Thank you for the quick response. Can it create it in a folder or only on a partition? I have a hard drive that I don't want to partition, but I want the backup image to be in /LinuxBackup

Also will it allow compression? My drive won't hold the whole thing, but it will hold what I used.

Clonezilla is great, and it does either your entire hard drive or selected partitions. Also, it only stores the used blocks to the image, thus making the resulting image file(s) smaller than the source. Stores everything in a directory of your making.

Joe
User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby nolag on Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:03 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
nolag wrote:Thank you for the quick response. Can it create it in a folder or only on a partition? I have a hard drive that I don't want to partition, but I want the backup image to be in /LinuxBackup

Also will it allow compression? My drive won't hold the whole thing, but it will hold what I used.

Clonezilla is great, and it does either your entire hard drive or selected partitions. Also, it only stores the used blocks to the image, thus making the resulting image file(s) smaller than the source. Stores everything in a directory of your making.

Joe


Thank you all for your responses, @Joe so if I have my mint partition and I want to back it up /ExternalDrive/LinuxBackup how would I do that with clonezilla? This seems like the ideal solution, but last time I used clonezilla (on vmware) I ended up deleting everything else on the backup partition (virtual) drive.

Looking forward to your response
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?action=register&uid=2
nolag
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby JoeFootball on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:36 pm

nolag wrote:@Joe so if I have my mint partition and I want to back it up /ExternalDrive/LinuxBackup how would I do that with clonezilla?

I've personally never made images of selected partitions, as I always tell Clonezilla to make an image of the entire drive, but I do know that it asks if I want to do selected partitions or the whole drive, so I assume if you go with that first option, it will then ask which partition(s) you want to make images of. Like you, I put the image in a directory of other images that I have on an external drive.

nolag wrote:...last time I used clonezilla (on vmware) I ended up deleting everything else on the backup partition (virtual) drive.

I also don't have any experience using Clonezilla in any sort of virtualization. I just download the ISO, make a CD from it, reboot the PC, and follow the instructions. A text-based interface, but it certainly does the job, and the only challenge is reading the Taiwanese-to-English translation, which really isn't that bad. :)

Joe
User avatar
JoeFootball
Level 4
Level 4
 
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:52 pm
Location: Minneapolis, MN, USA

Re: How can I make a disk image?

Postby nolag on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:43 pm

JoeFootball wrote:
nolag wrote:@Joe so if I have my mint partition and I want to back it up /ExternalDrive/LinuxBackup how would I do that with clonezilla?

I've personally never made images of selected partitions, as I always tell Clonezilla to make an image of the entire drive, but I do know that it asks if I want to do selected partitions or the whole drive, so I assume if you go with that first option, it will then ask which partition(s) you want to make images of. Like you, I put the image in a directory of other images that I have on an external drive.

nolag wrote:...last time I used clonezilla (on vmware) I ended up deleting everything else on the backup partition (virtual) drive.

I also don't have any experience using Clonezilla in any sort of virtualization. I just download the ISO, make a CD from it, reboot the PC, and follow the instructions. A text-based interface, but it certainly does the job, and the only challenge is reading the Taiwanese-to-English translation, which really isn't that bad. :)

Joe


Thanks I'll give it a try at some point later and post my results
I am posting to get a free site at a new forum, try it what do you have to loose?http://howtocompute.com/member.php?action=register&uid=2
nolag
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:18 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 38 guests