[Solved] I get an error message everytime I log in!!!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mattazooie

[Solved] I get an error message everytime I log in!!!

Post by mattazooie »

I'm running Linux Mint 9 LXDE

The Error message is:

(Process:339) GLib-WARNING **: getpwuid_r(): failed due to unknown user id (0)

What does this mean it flashes on the screen when I turn on my computer before I get to the login screen!

any help would be appreciated!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thenewguy

Re: I get an error message everytime I log in!!!

Post by thenewguy »

I've seen this on a few machines. I think it's a service failing to do something properly, but I haven't noticed any ill effects from it. You're probably safe ignoring it for now.
monkeyboy

Post by monkeyboy »

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/531027

Take a look at the above, I hope it helps. Good Luck
mattazooie

Post by mattazooie »

I have seen that page before, but it really doesn't have an explanation to what it is for what I can tell. I was just hoping someone could tell me what it was. it doesn't seem to be having any adverse effects. but I was wondering if it could cause any harm in the future if I didn't do anything about it.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Note that it's a warning, more than an error. I get it too, but everything works for me, so I dismiss it. The getpwuid() function looks up the password for a particular User ID, in this case [0]. In this instance, it can't find it, so it displays the warning. I then get queried from my user name & password, and I go about my business.

Joe
mattazooie

Post by mattazooie »

OK, thank you all for your help.

Return to “Beginner Questions”