Do you have to install a compiler to install from source

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vincent

Re: Do you have to install a compiler to install from source

Post by vincent »

You need to install the "build-essential" package in order to compile from source, so open up a terminal and type

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install build-essential
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

An even better package that will most likely make compiling run smoother

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install gnome-devel
vincent

Post by vincent »

If you're just looking to compile something and install it, instead of actively working on development, I think an IDE like Anjuta (and everything else pulled in by the gnome-devel metapackage) is overkill. Good ol' "make" is probably more than enough for the OP to work with. Just my opinion though. ;)
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

vincent wrote:If you're just looking to compile something and install it, instead of actively working on development, I think an IDE like Anjuta (and everything else pulled in by the gnome-devel metapackage) is overkill. Good ol' "make" is probably more than enough for the OP to work with. Just my opinion though. ;)
I've found the opposite to be true.

While gnome-devel does pull in a lot of stuff that's not needed, it pulls in a lot of development packages that build-essential doesn't but are needed to compile many source packages.

Just my experience. :wink:
vincent

Post by vincent »

Right, then I suppose I haven't ever compiled anything complicated enough to warrant the use of the gnome-devel package? Meh, all I've ever compiled are programs written in C/C++, and my experience states that build-essential is sufficient (for me). My advice to the OP: check out the README file in the tarball first and see if it calls for any particular dependencies or library files, and then install those before proceeding to compile.
markcynt

Post by markcynt »

vincent wrote:Right, then I suppose I haven't ever compiled anything complicated enough to warrant the use of the gnome-devel package? Meh, all I've ever compiled are programs written in C/C++, and my experience states that build-essential is sufficient (for me). My advice to the OP: check out the README file in the tarball first and see if it calls for any particular dependencies or library files, and then install those before proceeding to compile.
You're the greatest Vincent. :lol:

Return to “Beginner Questions”