LM 9 LXDE -> Change Wallpaper ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jv2112

LM 9 LXDE -> Change Wallpaper ?

Post by jv2112 »

I just converted over my netbook and I can't figure it out. :? :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
maruel

Re: LM 9 LXDE -> Change Wallpaper ?

Post by maruel »

I'm not using Mint 9 LXDE right now, but I'm sure it's done the same way as in every LXDE desktop.

Right click on the desktop and select "Change wallpaper" (the desktop is managed by PCManFM, which by the way sets the wallpaper).

If you can't find that option, open PCManFM (just open any folder you wish), go to Edit/Preferences (or where-ever Preferences is located), go to the Desktop tab, and select your desired wallpaper.
If PCManFM is not set to manage the desktop, you can set it with the check-box that's located in the Desktop tab.

Sorry for my english :)

Hope it helps! :D
jv2112

Post by jv2112 »

Thanks for the reply. I checked all of those areas and i still can't find it. Either directly off the desktop or the file manager. Options come up but none for wall paper.
maruel

Post by maruel »

Weird...

Well, try searching in the control center for a wallpaper configuration... If you don't get lucky then, in an hour or so, when I go back to my house, I'll boot it from usb and give it a look
maruel

Post by maruel »

Hi, I'm writing from Mint 9 LXDE (live usb)

To change the wallpaper, simply right click anywhere on the desktop, and click on Desktop Preferences. A window should pop up, which has options like wallpaper selection, background color, wallpaper mode, etc

It seems they customized PCManFM so Desktop tab doesn't show on Preferences.

Farewell :D
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

Here is the thread I started a couple of weeks back. It is now marked solved, but the right-click on the desktop was what resolved it for me.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=175&t=50854

Thanks,
Dave
jv2112

Post by jv2112 »

Once you select the option to have the applications (PCman / Browser etc) off the right click menu added to the desktop menu the option to change the wallpaper disappears. It is initially there as everyone suggested. From a GUI aspect I have out yet to figure it out how to change it back. But if you go to->

/home/name/.config/pcmanfm/pcman.conf & edit the wallpaper= line you can change the background.

Seems like a a lot of work for a simple task.

Any other input welcome !!!!! :)

Code: Select all

[config]
bm_open_method=0
su_cmd=gksu %s

[volume]
mount_on_startup=1
mount_removable=1
autorun=1

[desktop]
wallpaper_mode=1
wallpaper=/media/Abyss/Memories/Cool Graphics/Wallpaper/Artwork/ab_the_snatcher.jpg
desktop_bg=#000000
desktop_fg=#ffffff
desktop_shadow=#000000
show_wm_menu=1

[ui]
always_show_tabs=0
hide_close_btn=0
win_width=640
win_height=480
splitter_pos=150
view_mode=0
show_hidden=1
sort_type=0
sort_by=2
maruel

Post by maruel »

Hey man, I've got your solution :D

I found this thread in the forums http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 5&p=290005

The last reply is what you need. As I've told you, for some reason the devs removed the Desktop tab from PCManFM Preferences.

To open it, you can use the command
pcmanfm --desktop-pref
So, to have it on your Openbox menu, you can edit the conf file, or just download "obmenu", by typing
sudo apt-get install obmenu
in a terminal. When finished, type obmenu to open it. Where ever you want, add an item to execute the command "pcmanfm --desktop-pref" and you're done.

Damn it... I tried it so you shouldn't have any issues left, but for some reason obmenu just won't change the default menu... I just can't realize WHAT were the devs thinking... Why change the default and universal ways to configure LXDE???

You can anyways enter the desktop preferences with the command, but I don't know how to add it to the openbox menu...

EDIT: Just for the record, it's LXDE devs I'm unpleased with, not Kendall or any of the mint devs... PCManFM 0.9.7 has serious issues, and that can only tell the great job that mint devs had done on these releases by making them nice and usable :)
jv2112

Post by jv2112 »

Thanks for the help all :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”