64 bit version for intel

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
dhinds

64 bit version for intel

Post by dhinds »

I downloaded the 64 bit version of Mint for an Intel i7 CPU but the system recognized only 3.4 of RAM and there's 8 GB installed.

Did I download the wrong file or does Mint have no 64 version for Intel?

TIA
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Old Marcus

Re: 64 bit version for intel

Post by Old Marcus »

Are you sure you downloaded the right file? The one you're after should clearly state it is 64-bit. Once downloaded, get the md5sum of the file by opening a terminal in the download folder (just right click on the folder and select 'open in terminal') and type in:

Code: Select all

md5sum linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso
and press Enter
That will give you the md5sum of the file, the example here being the main iso, which I presume you downloaded. You can then compare it to the md5sum on the site here. Copying both into a text file is the easiest way of comparing them manually.

It should happily recognise the RAM, since your CPU is 64-bit.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

Thank you for your response.

> Are you sure you downloaded the right file? The one you're after should clearly state it is 64-bit.

No I'm not sure and that was one of the reasons for posting here. Although the file you refer to: <linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso> clearly states that it is 64 bit, it also states it's for AMD, not Intel - so that's NOT the one I downloaded.

You are saying that <linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso> is also for intel64? (That seems a little strange).

> It should happily recognise the RAM, since your CPU is 64-bit.

Thank you for confirming that.

Another problem: I did a little partitioning (to separate the Win7 installation -that was already installed- from my applications and data) and evidently lost a boot partition, so I'm running Mint from the live DVD and that's all I've got (Windows won't boot). Once I've been assured that <linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso> is in fact what I need, I can download it but burning it to a DVD is going to be a problem. (I tried creating a bootable USB Flash Drive using Start-up Disk Creator but haven't been able to get it to boot, so far).

I guess I could save the right iso file to a flash drive and create a bootable DVD to install the 64 version of Mint at a local cyber cafe (or get Win7 on disk and reinstall it) or install another DVD burner but running off the live DVD 32 bit version of Mint is all I've got at present, so I'm not quite read to mark this as "Solved".

Thanks again for your response.
Varg

Post by Varg »

linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso should be the one you need. Never heard of different versions depending on the manufacturer of the cpu. I checked the download page and nothing states that it would only work on AMD processors.

To make a bootable flash drive try Unetbootin. When you use a flash drive to install, you can also download the dvd version. It's only a bit bigger and offers additional software like java etc.
Old Marcus

Post by Old Marcus »

Amd64 is called that because I believe AMD were the first to come out with a 64 bit processor, and that was how it was named. The more universal way of showing it is 'x86_64', but obviously the Mint devs didn't do this. It will work on Intel and AMD processors, it is not tied to the designer of the processor.

But don't worry, a lot of people have been confused by this, I was once when getting a copy of Ubuntu for my friend. He had an AMD CPU so I assumed he needed AMD64. He didn't, he had a 32-bit cpu, so just needed standard x86.

As for burning a DVD or CD, you can use another computer or use Unetbootin, which I've never had trouble with.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

The amd in the 64 bit Mint name is not a reference to Advanced Micro Devices processors, but a generic reference to 64 bit systems. The linuxmint-9-gnome-cd-amd64.iso is the ISO for all 64 bit hardware.

There was a problem early in the release cycle for Mint 9 where some mirrors were downloading the 32 bit version instead of the 64 bit version. Try downloading from a different mirror and see if the md5 sum is the same.

If you got the 32 bit by mistake, it would only recognize about 3.3 GB of your installed ram.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

Varg wrote: To make a bootable flash drive try Unetbootin..
I have downloaded both the amd64 version of Mint and unetbootin. Now what? (Remember, this is the newbie list). I assume I have to use Synoptics in order to run Unetbootin. I'm afraid I need a more detail explanation to get this to happen.

TIA
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

What Operating System are you using to download the Mint ISO and unetbootin? It has a bearing on how things are done.
dhinds

Post by dhinds »

Aging Technogeek wrote:What Operating System are you using to download the Mint ISO and unetbootin? It has a bearing on how things are done.
I'm running the 32 bit version of Linux Mint 9 "Isadora" - Gnome the Live DVD.
Varg

Post by Varg »

You don't need synaptic to run Unetbootin. Synaptic is the package manager and basically it does the same thing as the mint installer, it just installs the software and the libraries it depends on. Synaptic will only provide you with more information and is based on the package name while the software installer is based on the name of the application.

You can find Unetbootin in the Mint menu. You should find it in All aplications > System Tools.
If you can't find it there open a terminal ( Mint menu > Favorites ) and type in: sudo unetbootin.

Return to “Beginner Questions”