WMA playback

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kunk

WMA playback

Post by kunk »

I am sorry but I am a complete Linux noob even though I have been using Mint for quite some time now. How can I make it play WMA files? It plays everything else just fine right out of the box, including HD WMV (the video part). The only thing that does not work and I need is WMA. Rythmbox tells me I can search for the Windows Media Audio 9 codec when I try to import WMA files in its library, but then it finds nothing.

Thank you for any help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: WMA playback

Post by JasonLG »

kunk wrote:I am sorry but I am a complete Linux noob even though I have been using Mint for quite some time now. How can I make it play WMA files? It plays everything else just fine right out of the box, including HD WMV (the video part). The only thing that does not work and I need is WMA. Rythmbox tells me I can search for the Windows Media Audio 9 codec when I try to import WMA files in its library, but then it finds nothing.

Thank you for any help.
Linux won't play WMA's or AAC's with DRM.
kunk

Post by kunk »

JasonLG wrote:Linux won't play WMA's or AAC's with DRM.
It is DRM-free.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

kunk wrote:
JasonLG wrote:Linux won't play WMA's or AAC's with DRM.
It is DRM-free.
Rythmbox sucks for Video, check out VLC.

And make sure w32codecs is installed by entering this into the terminal.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install w32codecs
Edit: I don't have any WMA files laying around so I downloaded a couple test files and found that I can't play them either. I'd say convert them into FLAC files if they are lossless or ogg/mp3's if they are lossy in Windows.
kunk

Post by kunk »

JasonLG wrote: Rythmbox sucks for Video, check out VLC.
I was not trying to make Rythmbox play videos, just WMA music. I use the Totem player that came with Mint for videos.

I have one WMV file with the audio track in WMA format. When I play it in Totem, the same dialog as in Rythbox pops up giving me the option to search for "suitable plugins". It then searches for "Windows Media Audio 9 decoder" but finds nothing. The 1920*1080 video plays very smoothly and crystal-clear on my C2D laptop though, just without sound.
JasonLG wrote: And make sure w32codecs is installed by entering this into the terminal.
I have w64codecs installed. I guess that is the same thing for 64-bit OSes.

Oh well, I guess I can manage to get by without WMA playback. Still like Mint more than Windows. I hope there will not be any more "disappointing" stuff about Mint.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

kunk wrote:I was not trying to make Rythmbox play videos, just WMA music.
I have w64codecs installed. I guess that is the same thing for 64-bit OSes.
yes, the w64codecs is right for you.

Have you tried soundconverter, it is in Synaptic/Package Manager? (not soundconvert) The link is to a tutorial.

This link provides a command line method for doing so.
kunk

Post by kunk »

Thanks dawgdoc, I will check it out.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

That's weird. you'd think that if you could transcode wma's you'd be able to play them. :?:
euthypro
Level 3
Level 3

Post by euthypro »

Following this thread because I'll be installing Mint on my wife's laptop, and she'll be pretty ticked-off if she can't play her music. I just copied over some WMA audio files from my XP partition. They are playing fine on both Totem and Rhythmbox. I am on Mint 9 Gnome, no codecs added to the original install. Can't say what the problem is on your end. Just letting you know that they should play.

Angel
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

euthypro wrote:Following this thread because I'll be installing Mint on my wife's laptop, and she'll be pretty ticked-off if she can't play her music. I just copied over some WMA audio files from my XP partition. They are playing fine on both Totem and Rhythmbox. I am on Mint 9 Gnome, no codecs added to the original install. Can't say what the problem is on your end. Just letting you know that they should play.

Angel

What version of WMA? Each version is a different codec.
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Carl »

Pretty sure there's a WMV audio codec which doesn't come in the 64bit codecs... can't remember which one but it's really annoying I think I had to compile mplayer from source a few years ago to solve the problem :x
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

kunk wrote:Rythmbox tells me I can search for the Windows Media Audio 9 codec when I try to import WMA files in its library, but then it finds nothing.
I'm having the same problem with audio and video files. So far there seem's to be no solution around to play files that require the Windows Media Audio 9 (Vlc fails too).
Pranaone

Post by Pranaone »

But there are better codecs for audio files,why use WMA?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Pranaone wrote:But there are better codecs for audio files,why use WMA?
I have no idea myself. My guess would be that the person used Windows Media player to rip some CD's and didn't know that you could go into the options and set it to rip to MP3 or they bought the tracks from an online store that sold them in WMA format. I doubt WMA was the persons first choice for codecs.
hinny.b

Post by hinny.b »

hi, kunk

have been able to play wma files here on Totem, Gnome etc - am running Helena Main - but have just checked and they are wma 8 and not wma 9 which seems to be the problem.

Did a little research and it would appear that this is not a new problem - have posted a few links of similar questions on ubuntu forum from 2005 :wink: .

From reading these posts - problems with 64 bit and possible solutions of having to compile vlc and so on - can only wish you luck as these things are way beyond my capabilities :) .

Here are the links, hope they are of some help - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88920 ... and ...http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php? ... mv+9+amd64
thx1138

Post by thx1138 »

The wma9 codec problem is still very present and unsolved with 32 bit, too ;-).

BTW: Installing the very new Vlc 1.1 may break your system.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

thx1138 wrote:The wma9 codec problem is still very present and unsolved with 32 bit, too ;-).

BTW: Installing the very new Vlc 1.1 may break your system.
Didn't hurt mine. If I remember correctly I did get a dependencies error but I solved it by uninstalling the older version completely and then installing 1.1. Conflicting packages happen every once in a while if you use a lot of PPA's.
ashbquick

Post by ashbquick »

I had this problem because I ripped a lot of music from CDs with WMP, and tried quite a few audio players when I switched to Linux. I use 'Exaile' and don't have any problems playing mp3 and wma files, and I like the simple, easy-to-use layout.

Return to “Beginner Questions”