usb-modeswitch problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
panchoop

usb-modeswitch problem

Post by panchoop »

Hi, first post here.

i wanted to ask a question asked before http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... &sk=t&sd=a but the thing is that i didn't get the last instruction.

y searched at http://packages.linuxmint.com/#6main but i didn't found the "usb-modeswitch" in any of the packages, so i believe i'm not understanding what to do, or where to look.

By "And look under Community." what did he meaned ):?

Im using Gloria (don't know if is too old the version... a friend installed it for me long time ago and i just used it with no problems)

:D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: usb-modeswitch problem

Post by remoulder »

panchoop wrote:Im using Gloria
Gloria is now obsolete, there is no longer any support for it. Even if you download usb-modeswitch from somewhere, there's no guarantee it will install or work. You are recommended to upgrade.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
I_can_see_the_light

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

You can download usb-modeswitch from here. Scroll down to where it says Debian, Ubuntu, Ubuntu Netbook Remix, Linux Mint and use the 0.9.7 version, or - as I found out by reading your post - enable the community repository through Mint menu > Package manager > Settings > Repositories and ticking the check box for that repo. Then hit reload and make a search for usb-modeswitch.

I'm using Gloria as well and didn't know that the package existed in the community repo so I installed the package from the website I linked to, and it's working for me.

By the way, are you trying to get mobile broadband working, if so what's the brand of the USB modem? If it's a Huawei E1750 there's an additional file you need to download.
davetails38

Post by davetails38 »

Huawei E1750: I have this from T-Mobile.
What is the additional file I need to download and where would I get it from?

(Incidently I am a complete newbie to lInux so have no real idea how to instal files unless there is a routine to self instal - so if there is a place you can point me to to help with the physical instal of the additional file , it would be appreciated, but not critical.: I know how simple instal-help requests can get out of hand!)
I_can_see_the_light

Post by I_can_see_the_light »

davetails38 wrote:Huawei E1750: I have this from T-Mobile.
What is the additional file I need to download and where would I get it from?
Hello and welcome to the forums :)

You can download the file I was talking about from here, then enter the folder you saved the file to.

***If you are using Linux Mint main edition you can follow these steps, I'm currently not using that so this is from memory***

1. Now we must make the file executable, you can do this by right clicking the file and choose 'Properties'.
2. Click on the tab where it says 'Permissions', tick the box where it says something like 'allow executing this file'
3. Close the window, then right click somewhere inside the folder where your file resides and choose 'Open in Terminal'. **Note: you cannot not right click on a file/folder, it has to be on an empty space**
4. Now run the following command:

Code: Select all

sudo ./Huawei_E1750.sh
You will now be asked to enter your password, note that there won't be any visual feedback when you do that but it's OK, just press enter when you're done.
5. The file will be executed (hopefully) and installing any required files. When it's done you can close the terminal window and you should be ready to use your modem.

Just post back if you have any questions :)
davetails38

Re: usb-modeswitch problem - fixed

Post by davetails38 »

It worked - thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”