[SOLVED] PPA with kernel patch does not upgrade kernel v.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pippolomeo

[SOLVED] PPA with kernel patch does not upgrade kernel v.

Post by pippolomeo »

Hi all,

as seen here, a bug in the kernel which comes with Lucid Lynx causes loads of useless CPU wakeups.

a PPA by Brian Rogers has been released here in order to temporarily fix the problem.

however, I have successfully added the PPA to my repositories, but the kernel does not get upgraded on my Linux Mint 9.

any idea about why this happens?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: PPA with kernel patch does not upgrade kernel version

Post by vincent »

Run the following commands:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
This is actually an interesting bug I never heard about before, but I can confirm with powertop. I should look into this myself as well.
pippolomeo

Post by pippolomeo »

thanks vincent.

I'm currently not on my PC so I cannot test doing it via terminal commands, however I have already used the software updater (the shield icon in the system tray) in order to re-read the repositories, so I think that the apt-get update has already been done by that application, but it didn't show any kernel upgrade available.

I'm 100% sure that the PPA has been successfully added to the repositories because I have checked the list
Last edited by pippolomeo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
vincent

Post by vincent »

mintUpdate does not show lvl 5 updates (that includes kernel updates) by default, to avoid new users inadvertently installing a kernel upgrade and borking their system because of it (it's relatively uncommon, but does happen from time to time). Either change mintUpdate's default settings (right click the mintUpdate icon and select Preferences) or use apt-get/Synaptic to update your kernel.
pippolomeo

Post by pippolomeo »

oh, it must be that then, thanks for enlightening me!
vincent

Re: [SOLVED] PPA with kernel patch does not upgrade kernel v

Post by vincent »

Just tried it myself...apt-get upgrade didn't work. This is what will work for sure:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-2.6.35rc6-power3 linux-headers-2.6.35rc6-power3-generic linux-image-2.6.35rc6-power3-generic
vincent

Re: [SOLVED] PPA with kernel patch does not upgrade kernel v

Post by vincent »

Just rebooted into the 2.6.35rc6 kernel myself. Didn't work for me...powertop didn't report any noticeable differences with "[kernel scheduler] Load balancing tick" between the 2.6.34 kernel I was running before and the 2.6.35rc6-patched kernel. On top of that, my wireless didn't work anymore. Heh, well I now know that the 2.6.35 kernel has problems with my RaLink chipset, so I'm screwed (as for now) when Ubuntu Maverick/Mint 10 comes out. The 2.6.32 kernel and previous versions also had problems (wireless kept on randomly disconnecting while associated with a WPA-encrypted connection); so far, only 2.6.33 and 2.6.34 work flawlessly (I went with 2.6.34 for the slightly faster parallelized suspend/resume...not much difference though). But I digress...the patched kernel didn't improve anything for me, in fact it was a step backwards (broken wireless on my laptop will not help me very much :P ), so I uninstalled the 2.6.35rc6 kernel, purged Brian Roger's PPA, and all's well for me back in my good ol' trustworthy 2.6.34 kernel. ;)

Return to “Beginner Questions”