Can not surf the web after a successful dial up connection.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
seamonkey

Can not surf the web after a successful dial up connection.

Post by seamonkey »

I managed to my winmodem or software modem with PCTel chipset working with Linux Mint.

I have successfully connected to my ISP at 115k.
The problem is that I still can't surf the web with Firefox. I know in Windows for Firefox you have to manually set your connection for dial up but I can't find this configuration for Firefox browser with Linux Mint.

Anyone know how to do this so I can use Firefox when connected on dial up?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
seamonkey

Re: Can not surf the web after a successful dial up connect

Post by seamonkey »

Ok I found out that it is not Firefox that is hindering me from surfing the web with the browser. It has something to do with KPPP. For some reason I can't check the auto config for the domain name and that I had to designate my ISP's DNS number. Once I got it working, I was able to surf the web with Firefox. :D

This is a very good link to set up your modem after you already have the drivers installed for your linmodem.
http://www.linuxheadquarters.com/howto/ ... kppp.shtml
I also noticed that when using a software modem, you don't have to designate a com port. So ignore setting it under a com port. Set your device as /dev/modem will work.

I hope this helps everyone else.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Can not surf the web after a successful dial up connect

Post by MALsPa »

Glad you got it working! I was never able to get any winmodems to work on dial-up and ended up picking up a couple of external serial modems, which always worked for Linux.

Return to “Beginner Questions”