[Solved] How to find the keyword to execute a program

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
munkybut

[Solved] How to find the keyword to execute a program

Post by munkybut »

I have done a lot of searching on this, but have been unable to find the best way to phrase it to find an answer. This has happened several times to me now, and it is getting a bit frustrating. I install a program and everything goes just fine, but once installed, I have no clue how to run the program.

My question is: Is there a way to search for how to run a program once it is installed?

For instance, something along these lines would be super: I installed removed but removed and sudo removed do not seem to run the application. I opened the applications menu and typed removed and then clicked Show Package removed and it gives me the screen below.

Is there something similar to this that will show me just how to run an application?

I'm not specifically asking how to run this program, just any program.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: How to find the keyword to execute a program

Post by DrHu »

I'm not specifically asking how to run this program, just any program.
Executable files are in the bin directories (folders), /bin, /usr/sbin or /sbin
The Linux FHS, shows you how the directory structures are arranged and the common purpose of this arrangement
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem ... y_Standard
  • From that link, we get
  • /bin/ Essential command binaries that need to be available in single user mode; for all users, e.g., cat, ls, cp.
  • /usr/ Secondary hierarchy for read-only user data; contains the majority of (multi-)user utilities and applications
  • /sbin/ Essential system binaries, e.g., init, ip, mount.
  • /usr/bin/ Non-essential command binaries (not needed in single user mode); for all users.
  • /usr/sbin/ Non-essential system binaries, e.g., daemons for various network-service
So from that selection, you can conclude that the most likely place is under /usr for applications..

Of course, you can go onto a package manager, such as synaptic and check the installed files

You can also use locate or mlocate (you may need to install those applications and do a command line (cli) based search for the application name you used, you will get the same list of installed directories, and you do need to know the the ../bin or ../sbin or /usr/bin directories (folders) are the location of the executable file that starts the specific application you are searching on.

Or if you phrase it correctly the bash find command, samples/examples abound on the Internet.

I don't use removed, but if I did and was stuck, I would research/search removed on the Internet and see either how to start it or how it works (a howto if you like)
--I get this from a quick search for removed
http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/ ... th-removed
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/3-applicat ... nux-games/
vincent

Post by vincent »

A simple terminal command can find the path to the program's launcher...e.g. from a terminal, paste the following:

Code: Select all

whereis removed
Here's another example:

vincent@vincent-laptop ~ $ whereis firefox
firefox: /usr/bin/firefox /etc/firefox /usr/lib/firefox /usr/lib64/firefox /usr/share/firefox
Once you find the proper path to the program's launcher (usually found in /usr/bin), just type the path name and the name of the launcher to launch the program. However, for programs located in /usr/bin, that is unnecessary; e.g. "firefox" will execute Firefox, you don't have to type "/usr/bin/firefox" to do so. If you want to know under which paths this will work, this should give you an idea:

vincent@vincent-laptop ~ $ echo $PATH
/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
gordon.cooke

Post by gordon.cooke »

I dont use removed myself, but looking at the package description line you posted and looking at the removed website I think I see your problem. The paydeb package you installed is not an executable program, ie you did install removed, but it does not install any games.

The description says "This package adds the removed repository entry to the source list..." What does this mean? Before you installed, if you went into the software manager and look under games you would find the 1,000 games that Mint has in its repository, but not ind the games from removed. If you go look now, you should have more games, and should be able to install any of the removed games via the software manager. And once installed the software manager will handle software updates and such for you, as well as in the future any new games added to removed will automatically be added to your software manager.

This is all related to how linux manages software via the package manager. I can totally see the misunderstanding if your not used to it yet, especially in this case. I would expect that installing removed would have installed a game or a bunch of games, when it looks like what it has done is installed the ability to install a bunch of games (but not installed any of them)

Incidentally, Ive had similar problems because the thing you installed is not always the name of the thing you need to run. Especially with packs of things. Ie- install one thing called 'joshua-games' and then cant run joshua-games because you need to run 'chess' 'tic-tac-toe' 'poker' 'checkers' or 'global thermo-nuclear war' (ok thats a made up example but ive had it happen)
munkybut

Post by munkybut »

Awesome. Thank you guys so much for the help!

Hopefully someone else will find this and won't have to ask. :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”