Installing iTunes with wine

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sally29

Installing iTunes with wine

Post by Sally29 »

Hi all,

I have downloaded wine to run iTunes with Linux Mint Isadora 9, and I checked the "allowed to" box, but then as nothing happened I tried through the terminal and here is what I get :

$ cd /home/sally/T�l�chargements
$ wine iTunes64Setup.exe
Trying to load PE image for unsupported architecture (AMD-64)
err:process:create_process starting 64-bit process L"Z:\\home\\sally\\T\00e9l\00e9chargements\\iTunes64Setup.exe" not supported on this platform
wine: Mauvais format EXE pour Z:\home\sally\T�l�chargements\iTunes64Setup.exe

I will translate the french words :
'T�l�chargements' is actually 'Téléchargements', and it mean "downloads"
'Mauvais format EXE pour' means 'wrong exe format for'

Do you think it has something to do with the �l� ??? How can I change the codepage ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Sally
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Sally29

Re: Installing iTunes with wine

Post by Sally29 »

Just to let you know I moved the .exe file into another folder without any weird sign (such as �) and I still got the same response.
Thanks
Sally
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

Sally29 wrote:Hi all,

I have downloaded wine to run iTunes with Linux Mint Isadora 9, and I checked the "allowed to" box, but then as nothing happened I tried through the terminal and here is what I get :

$ cd /home/sally/T�l�chargements
$ wine iTunes64Setup.exe
Trying to load PE image for unsupported architecture (AMD-64)
err:process:create_process starting 64-bit process L"Z:\\home\\sally\\T\00e9l\00e9chargements\\iTunes64Setup.exe" not supported on this platform
wine: Mauvais format EXE pour Z:\home\sally\T�l�chargements\iTunes64Setup.exe

I will translate the french words :
'T�l�chargements' is actually 'Téléchargements', and it mean "downloads"
'Mauvais format EXE pour' means 'wrong exe format for'

Do you think it has something to do with the �l� ??? How can I change the codepage ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Sally
You seem to have answered your ow ? < Are you trying to use a 64 bit download on a 32 bit system? :idea:
exu

Post by exu »

Hey,

I looked around a bit, and it seems like lots of people have trouble with the 64-bit version of i-tunes in linux.

I also tried installing the 64-bit version without any luck, got the same unresponsiveness when running the exe -file, and then same message when trying to install through terminal.

I then tried the 32-bit version, wine installed it but it wouldn't run. There might be some way to get it working since it did get installed.

Recommend iTunes Alternatives for iPOD:
(source: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/linux-soft ... ch-iphone/)

1. gtkpod is a platform independent Graphical User Interface for Apple's iPod using GTK2. It supports the first to fifth Generation including the iPod mini, iPod Photo, iPod Shuffle, iPod nano, and iPod Video etc.
2. Amarok - Supports synchronizing, retrieving, playing, or uploading music to the iPod. Amarok is a music player and organizer.
3. Banshee - Allows the transferring of songs, videos, and album art to and from the iPod.
4. Songbird - iPod device support via community extension. It is a great music organization tool with a variety of extensions.

- exu

Return to “Beginner Questions”