Building Dropbox[SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Alpha Gamer

Building Dropbox[SOLVED]

Post by The Alpha Gamer »

I'm trying to get Dropbox working, the readme says

In the nautilus-dropbox dir just do:
$ ./configure
$ make
$ sudo make install

How do i do that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Building Dropbox

Post by vincent »

Open up a terminal (mintMenu > Terminal), and then paste the following:

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/nautilus-dropbox
./configure
make
sudo make install
"/path/to/nautilus-dropbox" should be replaced with the actual path, e.g. ~/Downloads/nautilus-dropbox, or whereever else you put the source code in. Also, to compile the source code and build it (that's what configure and make does), you'll need the "build-essential" package, so from a terminal, type:

sudo apt-get install build-essential
Note that any commands with "sudo" appended require your password, and when it is typed, it won't show...just type it anyways and press enter once you're done.

Now, you can avoid all this hassle simply by installing the mint-dropbox package, so you won't have to compile and install it manually. Just type:

sudo apt-get install mint-dropbox
The Alpha Gamer

vincent wrote:Now, you can avoid all this hassle simply by installing the mint-dropbox package, so you won't have to compile and install it manually.
That's the first thing i tried, it didn't work at all

Edit: Just tried your instructions, it was going fine until
configure: error: couldn't find docutils
rob@rob-laptop ~/Downloads/nautilus-dropbox-0.6.3 $ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
rob@rob-laptop ~/Downloads/nautilus-dropbox-0.6.3 $ sudo make install
rmockler

Post by rmockler »

The easiest failsafe way to install dropbox is to go to their home page, and download the Linux .deb version for your computer. You would choose Ubuntu for either the 64 bit or the 32 bit version, depending on your processor. When you have downloaded, because it is a .deb file, all you have to do is double click your downloaded file and it will successfully install.
The Alpha Gamer

rmockler wrote:The easiest failsafe way to install dropbox is to go to their home page, and download the Linux .deb version for your computer. You would choose Ubuntu for either the 64 bit or the 32 bit version, depending on your processor. When you have downloaded, because it is a .deb file, all you have to do is double click your downloaded file and it will successfully install.
I already did that too, that didn't work either
svalbard

Post by svalbard »

The Alpha Gamer wrote:
rmockler wrote:The easiest failsafe way to install dropbox is to go to their home page, and download the Linux .deb version for your computer. You would choose Ubuntu for either the 64 bit or the 32 bit version, depending on your processor. When you have downloaded, because it is a .deb file, all you have to do is double click your downloaded file and it will successfully install.
Did you manually delete the ~/.dropbox and ~/.dropbox-dist hidden directories after removing the mint-dropbox package and before attempting to install the nautilus-dropbox.deb? Several users (including myself) have had success with doing things that way. If you'd still like to give it a shot, just remove those folders and see if the .deb from Dropbox's website installs correctly.
The Alpha Gamer

svalbard wrote:
The Alpha Gamer wrote:
Did you manually delete the ~/.dropbox and ~/.dropbox-dist hidden directories after removing the mint-dropbox package and before attempting to install the nautilus-dropbox.deb? Several users (including myself) have had success with doing things that way. If you'd still like to give it a shot, just remove those folders and see if the .deb from Dropbox's website installs correctly.
Just tried that and it said there is now a version in the package manager, i downloaded that and it works now, thanks

Return to “Beginner Questions”