Decrease the screen resolution?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
monocongo

Decrease the screen resolution?

Post by monocongo »

I will soon buy a new PC and install Mint. The PC will be used by someone who can barely see so I need to decrease the resolution in order to make everything appear much larger than normal. How do I do this via Mint's Control Panel or command line? Is there anything I need to make sure of before I purchase the PC such as the availability of a Linux driver for the graphic card?

Thanks in advance for any guidance you can give me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bigBuckets

Re: Decrease the screen resolution?

Post by bigBuckets »

I'm not sure how to change the resolution, but do you think a netbook interface would be beneficial? The icons would be pretty big, plus you can probably set the system fonts a few points higher and zoom the text in the web browser.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

To change the resolution from the Menu one route is --
> Menu > Preferences > Monitors
There will be other menu options which will vary depending on your graphics chipset and if you install the proprietary graphics drivers; possibly
> Menu > Administration > NVidia X Server Settings
or
> Menu > Administration > Catalyst Control Center (ATI graphics)
I do not know what an additional option for Intel graphics may be. Probably is not one since Intel drivers are in the kernel.

In the Mint Control Center, go to the Hardware section and select Monitors.

The command line code will vary depending on your chipset and if proprietary drivers are installed.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

monocongo wrote: Is there anything I need to make sure of before I purchase the PC such as the availability of a Linux driver for the graphic card?
One way to go about this would be to see what graphics chips the PCs are interested in have and then search to see if there are significant problems which have or do not have solutions. You can do a search of these forums, search Google and check the Hardware Section of the Linux Community site.

In > Menu > Preferences > Desktop Settings you can click on Interface and increase the size of the icons

Return to “Beginner Questions”