How do I view the contents of the Linux folders in Windows

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Len

How do I view the contents of the Linux folders in Windows

Post by Len »

I managed to get everything sorted, but I feel the partition size might be a tad too big as I only plan to use Linux Mint as a data recovery/troubleshooting second-hander in case Windows gets gubbed. Also, I'd like to be able to view the folders and contents in order to centralize everything to where it needs to be in both operating systems.

I can easily do this in Mint by mounting the drive, and access/edit all the contents in it freely, but I want to figure out how to access that data from Windows 7.

This is a screencap of the partitions currently active (I think), can anyone point me in the direction of some details? I'm completely new to Linux overall hence why it's only a backup just now, so the info I find on Google isn't much use to me since some is outdated.

Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rmockler

Re: How do I view the contents of the Linux folders in Windo

Post by rmockler »

The link below is a good how-to for the problem you described.

http://www.howtoforge.com/access-linux- ... om-windows
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: How do I view the contents of the Linux folders in Windo

Post by Old Ruler »

You probably need to ask in a Windows forum for current information, but I booted a really old XP install because I was pretty sure I had used something like you require. Sure were a lot of cobwebs on that old desktop, but I found it was ext2fsd from http://www.ext2fsd.com/

It probably isn't suitable for your Mint though as it would be ext4 most likely (you didn't say which version you're using). Nothing to stop you using ext3 though, if you must have the feature and ext2fsd is the only way. Would require reinstalling Mint though, or, :idea: could possibly remove the journal from your ext4 - if you're feeling adventurous...

Return to “Beginner Questions”