Question about 32, 64 bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lalo

Question about 32, 64 bit

Post by lalo »

Hey guys, I have a Phenon II x4 955 3.2Ghz with 2Gb Ram.. and Im using Isadora Gnome 32 bit.

My question is, It would be better to 64-bit version for my case?

I mean.. which would take better advantage of my processor?

Sorry my english.. ty!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Leit

Re: Question about 32, 64 bit

Post by Leit »

jeah i'm not the only one who's unable to write english :lol:

@topic: the point at 32 and 64 bit is not the Processorusage itself, its more how the processor works. With 64 bit you got a lot more adressregisters (i hope the english word corresponds to the german), which means your CPU can "speak" with more devices at the same time, mainly RAM (on your Motherboard and even on your VideoCard) but also other devices. but this only matters if you got more than 4 GB RAM (similiar 3,5GB) or something like a Gaming- or CAD-Videocard. You can use a 32bit OS or a 64 bit OS, at your systemconfig it doesn't realy matter, but 64bit-applications are sometimes a bit more unstable than the one for 32bit-Systems are, in my conclusions 64bit-application are also a bit slower than the ones for 32bit, but this could also be just a delusion.

In the end I would say if you've less than 4 GB of RAM, or a 64bit"only" processor (is something existing outside from special servers?) it doesnt realy matter.

greetings Leit.

P.S.: describing such things in english sucks xD
OldManHook

Re: Question about 32, 64 bit

Post by OldManHook »

lalo wrote:Hey guys, I have a Phenon II x4 955 3.2Ghz with 2Gb Ram.. and Im using Isadora Gnome 32 bit.

My question is, It would be better to 64-bit version for my case?

I mean.. which would take better advantage of my processor?

Sorry my english.. ty!
NO 64 bit would be slower say with what you have :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”