External drives no longer automounting

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Pumpkinator

External drives no longer automounting

Post by Pumpkinator »

G'day
I use Linux mint 9 and have two external hard drives which no longer auto mount as of this afternoon.

How can I do a manual mount or find out if the drives are being detected or what the problem is?
I tried running dmesg at a friends suggestion - I got this:

[ 2407.860309] usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
[ 2408.013011] usb 2-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 2408.083681] Initializing USB Mass Storage driver...
[ 2408.083797] scsi6 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
[ 2408.083883] usbcore: registered new interface driver usb-storage
[ 2408.083886] USB Mass Storage support registered.
[ 2408.084288] usb-storage: device found at 2
[ 2408.084290] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
[ 2413.083039] usb-storage: device scan complete
[ 2413.084092] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access PQ: 0 ANSI: 2 CCS
[ 2413.085086] sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0
[ 2413.087802] sd 6:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk

Don't know what, if anything I can do with this info.

One (connected when the above dmesg was run) is a sata drive from my old computer (linux mint 8) which i put into an USB powered enclosure and which was auto mounting fine until this afternoon. I used it most recently (yesterday) to transfer some files from my notebook to a friends computer who is also running mint 9. The light still comes on to show its getting power.

The other is a seagate terabyte drive which may have been damaged by the wrong power supply being plugged into it for a minute till I realised it was the wrong plug (gar!) - it doesn't have a power switch so the drive may have been fried - I can't tell - am hoping I can still get some data from it!

My iriver automounts fine - so it doesn't appear to be a usb glitch in the notebook.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bobcollard

Re: External drives no longer automounting

Post by bobcollard »

Sorry this took so long to get to you, just found the solution to your problem:
http://helpforlinux.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... buntu.html
It worked for me.

Return to “Beginner Questions”