linux and ubunto a simple way to use please

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
linus666

linux and ubunto a simple way to use please

Post by linus666 »

Hi I have crashed my windows OS and intalled linux mint mmmmmm!!!!!
I did not realise you had to be a computer guru to use linux lol

I am of a certain age, and completely lost, windows was so simple.
With linux I have managed to get the web, End of story.

The following are my needs;

A flash player that works with website free music programmes and I players and radio
Why you cant make adobe work with all your skills I do not understand.

There are packages on the system ,how do I use them, on windows as you know,
you just mouse click the icon.

How do I connect my printer do I load the disc, or do something else.

If I download a programme, how do I install it, and how do I run it.

Sorry to be so dim but I would appriciate answers that tell me to click the right bits
I am sure linux is great when you know how, but you must make it simple for the silver
surfers.

Looking forward to the replies. Cheers
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Re: linux and ubunto a simple way to use please

Post by MALsPa »

You don't need to be a "computer guru" to use Linux, but at this point I'm afraid that there's no simple way to use Linux, either -- unless someone installs it for you, and sets everything up. Seems to me that you really have to be willing to learn some things about Linux if you're going to use it.

Linux Mint's official user guides are available at ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/linuxmint.com/docs/user-guide/. Might help with all of your questions, if you don't get quick answers from these forums.
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

linus666,

You truly do not need to be a computer guru, or even especially nerdy or geeky to use Linux - especially Mint. You just have to realize that Linux is different from Windows and does most things differently. You are at the same point now, with Linux that you were at the first time you booted a computer into Windows.

You are at the bottom of a learning curve. This is normal and everyone who switches from Windows to Linux goes through the same thing. In fact, the longer you have used Windows, ingraining the Windows way of doing things into your mind, the longer it will take to unlearn Windows and learn Linux.

You must be willing to let go of your Windows habits and reflexes and learn a new set of habits and reflexes for Linux.

If you are running 32 bit Mint, Adobe flash player should be installed by default. If not, it is readily available in Software manager. Just open Software Manager or Package Manager from the Menu and enter "adobe flash" in the search box, then click on the app and click install. The Software Manager will ask for your password then install Adobe flash.

If you are running 64 bit Mint, I can't help you. I have never gotten Adobe's beta 64 bit Flash Player to work and I understand Adobe has temporarily slowed or stopped development of their 64 bit Player for Linux.

How you connect your printer will depend on the printer make and model. Many printers are supported in Linux but, unfortunately, some manufacturors are not interested in supplying Linux drivers for their products. HP is the best for providing printer support in Linux. They provide drivers for almost all of their printers via the hplip program.

As for downloading programs from the web, most new lLinux users are advised to get their software from Software Manager or Package Manager. Any software obtained from either will be written for Linux and guaranteed to be compatible with your OS. All dependent programs will also be installed automatically.

Linux is simple, the learning curve is actually lower and easier than learning Windows would be if you were starting from the same point of ignorance in each OS. It seems difficult to mosst new transfers from Windows because they persist in trying to make Linux work by Windows rules. Learn Linux's rules and you will have fewer problems.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

[quote="linus666"]Hi I have crashed my windows OS and intalled linux mint mmmmmm!!!!!
I did not realise you had to be a computer guru to use linux lol

I am of a certain age, and completely lost, windows was so simple.
With linux I have managed to get the web, End of story.

The following are my needs;

A flash player that works with website free music programmes and I players and radio
Why you cant make adobe work with all your skills I do not understand.

There are packages on the system ,how do I use them, on windows as you know,
you just mouse click the icon.

You don't have to be a Guru to use Linux (I Use It) What does age have to do with what OS you use,If you think Windows is simple just wait till you get the hang of Linux,You got on the web Good many new users can't do that. Flash Player-which Linux Mint did you Install if you installed the Main DVD Flash should Work, Only Adobe can make flash work in all OS's You can put icons on your desktop like Windows,not yet learn about how Linux do things." Linux is not Windows" -Google that and read. Printers plug in USB,turn on'click on mint icon left bottom (Menu) Administration> Printing most will setup To download Programs the Package Manager takes care of that,No discs Read the post by Aging Technogeek Read the Manual linked to in MALsPa post,Play with Mint a while Come back ask questions We will try to Help Welcome to Linux Mint Good Luck :D You are Not Dim Just New To Linux-It is Great, As for simple-Just a word
deibu76

Post by deibu76 »

It's kind of weird a "silver-surfer" knows what Adobe & Flash are, but this Linux thing is hard cause of the clicking on packages thingy isn't like it is in Windows! But, you just have to try it, and if you are comfortable with XP, then stick with it - I know a lot of silver-surfers who feel the same way (except they have no idea what "Adobe" & "Flash" are unless Norton told them it was a virus thingie).
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Midnighter »

You're expecting it to be a free version of windows from the sounds of it.

As for Flash, it's up to adobe to make that work, it's their product.

You don't need to download antythi9ng to install it, thats what the Package Manager, and Software Manager are for.

ANever ceases to amaze me how people will go to the lengths of downloading and installing Mint, or any linux for that matter, without bothering to read up a little on how it works, and see what they should expect. It's not hard, it's just not the same as windows, which is what you seem to expect.
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
linus666

Post by linus666 »

Hi

Thankyou very much to all the linux users, who responded to my request, for help

the info provided will be worked on, and I will ask again when I am stuck.

cheers
SMT

Post by SMT »

linus666,

It seems that you have come across some great help here on the forum. The community here is especially helpful. remember that the more specific you can be about your question the more help you can get. Aging Techno seems to have answered most of your questions and there are many more that are willing to assist. I do want to make you aware of the chat rooms.

If you open you main menu and go to all applications then under internet click XCHAT. The #linuxmint-chat, and #linuxmint-help, chat rooms are automatically set up to load for you. There are many wonderful people in the chatrooms that are also able to help. and can step by step walk you through any operations that you are confused about.

Thanks

SMT
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

If you are running 64 bit Mint, I can't help you. I have never gotten Adobe's beta 64 bit Flash Player to work and I understand Adobe has temporarily slowed or stopped development of their 64 bit Player for Linux.
The problem I had with 64 bit Flash was solved by downloading the Chromium Browser package using the Mint Software Manager. It works on every flash site I have tried (a lot of them). Trying to get 32 bit flash working with Firefox on my 64 bit system never worked for me.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
linus666

Post by linus666 »

Hi i am back for help

I am trying to install an epson SX 215 printer into linux Mint helena8

I have been through admin to printing and the printer roared into life on print test
and punched through all my paper but did not print anything

What next guys

thanks the thick silver surfer

Return to “Beginner Questions”