[Solved] Permission denied: on a partition

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
keke

[Solved] Permission denied: on a partition

Post by keke »

I am trying to copy files to a partition but it says: Permission denied.

I formatted the drive (I only have one: /dev/sda) with several partitions and successfully installed Linux Mint using one partition as /boot, another as /swap and another as / (root). I'm going to use the other partitions for Windows 7 and general storage.

However, when I mount and browse to my 'Store' partition, I can't write to it (create new files/folders or copy others there). Why don't I have this permission? I am logged in as an administrator user.

I've reformatted it and remounted it several times. No luck.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: Permission denied: on a partition

Post by StanTheMan »

This is a Permissions setting of the DIRECTORY on which you are mounting the datas partition.
Mint by default assigns the UserManager as a member of the group ' plugdev ' You can check this by ging into the Menu > System > Administration > Users and Groups.
Next check the permissions that are set for the mount point directory. For exxample, if your mount directory is ' /media/sda7 ' then
Terminal
cd /media
ls -l

A line should e listed for sda7. like this - -
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-06-11 14:53 sda7

This directory is owned by ' root ' , and its group is ' root ' .
Change the group to ' plugdev '
sudo chgrp plugdev sda7

Next make the group read and write - -
sudo chmdd g+rwx sda7

( drwxrwxr-x 2 root plugdev 4096 2010-06-11 14:53 sda7 )

Now the UserAdmin should have read and write and executive permissions to any partition mounted on this directory.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

keke wrote:I am trying to copy files to a partition but it says: Permission denied.

I formatted the drive (I only have one: /dev/sda) with several partitions and successfully installed Linux Mint using one partition as /boot, another as /swap and another as / (root). I'm going to use the other partitions for Windows 7 and general storage.

However, when I mount and browse to my 'Store' partition, I can't write to it (create new files/folders or copy others there). Why don't I have this permission? I am logged in as an administrator user.

I've reformatted it and remounted it several times. No luck.
1. mount the partition

2. Make yourself as an owner of the partition

sudo chown -R your_username: /media/Store
keke

Post by keke »

Fantastic! Thanks for the help. I love learning.

Return to “Beginner Questions”