installing kde desktop on the gnome instilation

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cudayne

installing kde desktop on the gnome instilation

Post by cudayne »

Hi i was wondering if it is a good idea too install kde on my regular mint instilation.? I dont have a dvd burner so the kde version is only avlaible on dvd so i was wondering if i could download from the repository an try it as another desktop enviroment. Hope people understand what i am saying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mick55

Re: installing kde desktop on the gnome instilation

Post by mick55 »

cudayne wrote:Hi i was wondering if it is a good idea too install kde on my regular mint instilation.?
No, that's a BAD idea. :P

cudayne wrote:I dont have a dvd burner so the kde version is only avlaible on dvd
If you have a USB stick/Pendrive use unetbootin and install from the USB stick.

CLICK HERE for UNetbootin

mick
nukm

Re: installing kde desktop on the gnome instilation

Post by nukm »

You can install the KDE stuff from Synaptic. Just make sure you get the full basic package from Synaptic and you can add extras as you like, as the dependencies will be picked up.

Your Gnome install uses GDM. If you want to install KDM, you will be asked which you prefer to use. You can boot KDE from GDM.

You'll just have a full basket of software - no big deal. If you don't like KDE, you can simply remove the packages or leave it alone and don't select KDE at login.

You'll have Gnome and KDE on same install - right? No big deal.

Just start with KDEbase and then add what you want. The depends should kick right in.

Return to “Beginner Questions”