Installing additional desktop environments...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
beansandjeans

Installing additional desktop environments...

Post by beansandjeans »

I'm thinking about trying out LXDE. A few months ago I had played around with the Fluxbox edition of Mint 8 on an old computer, and for the past couple months I've been using the main (GNOME) edition of Mint 9 as the primary OS on my main computer.

Now I'd like to try installing LXDE (on my main computer with Mint 9). So I would like to know if there are any issues I should be aware of with having multiple desktop environments for the same installation.

The way I understand it, if I install another DE, such as LXDE, on top of my existing GNOME install, then each time I login I'll have the choice of whether to use GNOME or LXDE. Is that correct?...And then each time I chose one or the other, I would either be using LXDE and not GNOME or GNOME and not LXDE?

I realize that it wouldn't be quite the same as using the LXDE version of Mint, but are there likely to be any problems with two or more DEs sharing the same home and whatnot? I want to make sure to avoid any weird software conflicts that would screw things up.

Also, if I decide I don't want to use an additional DE I installed, then it can be easily uninstalled just like application software?

Please let me know if you have experience with this, or if you know of anything I should be aware of.

Thanks! :-)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Temporary Saint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Installing additional desktop environments...

Post by Temporary Saint »

I have limited experience with multiple DE's but you shouldn't have any problems doing it. Keep in mind that your menus will not be unique to each DE. ALL apps of BOTH DE's will appear in the menus on both DE's, i.e. your LXDE apps would appear along side your GNOME apps and vice versa.

And yes you will be able to choose your DE at the login screen.

Steve
Endeavor to be unique; everyone else does.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I've done it lots of times. Yes, I generally edit the menus if I don't want to see apps from every DE, but usually I do want to see them all in the menus. And, yes, you can always go back and remove things. I've never wanted to use Mint's alternative versions, preferring to simply add a DE or WM to the main (GNOME) version.
beansandjeans

Post by beansandjeans »

Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and give it a try :-)
Robin

Post by Robin »

It's one of the funnest things about Linux! You can install all kindsa multiple DEs and use any one of them (just choose that session at login time). The onlything to really watch for is:

Most DEs bring in whole libraries of new stuff when they're installed (especially KDE, my gosh, hyooooge library) and some can share the same library. The point being: If you have lots of hard drive space it's not an issue at all. If you have a little hard drive (like me) you might want to try them one at a time.

Have fun!

-Robin

Return to “Beginner Questions”