create mint bootable usb w/o Universal USB installer

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jcbaduk

create mint bootable usb w/o Universal USB installer

Post by jcbaduk »

Hi,

I burnt a linux mint 9 iso onto a dvd, is it possible to use the contents of that dvd to create a linux mint bootable usb without using the iso or the Universal USB installer program? I don't understand why it has to use the iso. Also, what is the difference between booting from USB and from CD drive (WIndows vs LInux)? What additional files are needed? Is it possible to fool the computer into thinking that the same contents copied from CD into a USB stick is coming from a CD? Thanks. It would make it easier to understand what http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?p=6017 and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrive ... endrive%29 are about.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: create mint bootable usb w/o Universal USB installer

Post by JasonLG »

jcbaduk wrote:Hi,

I burnt a linux mint 9 iso onto a dvd, is it possible to use the contents of that dvd to create a linux mint bootable usb without using the iso or the Universal USB installer program?
Without the iso no, without the Universal USB installer yes, the help page mentions installing Ubuntu/Mint directly on to a USB drive just as it was a hard drive.
jcbaduk wrote: I don't understand why it has to use the iso.
Because the iso contains all the necessary files to make a complete system.
jcbaduk wrote: Also, what is the difference between booting from USB and from CD drive (WIndows vs LInux)? What additional files are needed? Is it possible to fool the computer into thinking that the same contents copied from CD into a USB stick is coming from a CD? Thanks.

As far as I know as long as your computer supports booting from a device all that has to be done is flag the medium as bootable for your computer to at least try to boot from it. I can see no reason why you would want to trick your computer into thinking a USB drive is a CD, I don't know if you could or not.
jesica

Post by jesica »

I just install from usb, you dont need to waste a dvd or cd, well not that it is expensive, I use this program http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/, it make no difference, it still install the same iso file's also.
vincent

Post by vincent »

An .iso file is just an image, i.e. if you uncompress/unpackage it, you'll simply find the directories and files that make up the system, contained within the image file. You could then theoretically just copy over all the directories and files contained in the image file onto your USB, and then proceed to install a bootloader onto that USB, but why not just use Universal USB Installer or Unetbootin to do all that for you?
jcbaduk

Post by jcbaduk »

Yes, the reason why I ask is that I notice that the computer reads initially from autorun.inf from CD during the boot process? so I was trying to see whether it's possible to do the same thing for USB, or maybe the USB uses a similar autorun.inf script to run in the boot process. Thanks.
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

jcbaduk wrote:Also, what is the difference between booting from USB and from CD drive... and https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrive ... endrive%29
One thing not mentioned so far is that booting from a persistent LiveUSB allows you to save changes and updates to the USB Pen/Thumb drive. This is not an advantage when installing to a hard drive, but it is useful if running the OS from the USB drive on multiple computers.

Return to “Beginner Questions”