Mint 10 [SOLVED]

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jesica

Mint 10 [SOLVED]

Post by jesica »

I am busy googling and searching the forum, is it posible if MInt 10 comes out in November to make an image of Mint 9 and use it for Mint 10 so that my system can be the same and that all my firefox bookmarks and all will be copied to it, I dont mind the data, all of that is on a ext hdd
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Mint 10

Post by vincent »

If you want to save your Firefox bookmarks (well, your entire Firefox profile, actually), just backup your ~/.mozilla directory to a safe location, e.g. an external hard drive. You can find it by opening up your Home folder, pressing CTRL + H to reveal all hidden files (assuming you use Nautilus, that is), and copying the ".mozilla" folder you'll find there to the safe location you have in mind.

Keep in mind that Mint strongly recommends doing a fresh install with a new release, so the official instructions that Clem gives out for upgrading from release to release (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2) involves installing a fresh copy of the newer release, and then re-installing all the applications you use that are not in the default install, as well as re-tweaking and re-theming your system to what it was like before. So strictly speaking, no, you can't make an image backup of Mint 9 and use that for Mint 10. What you can do is upgrade your system via APT instead of a fresh install (involves a few changes to /etc/apt/sources.list and the infamous "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade")...but Clem is strongly opposed to that due to the potential for severe borkage of your system. Still, this is the only way you can retain your current configuration with the least amount of work possible.
samu

Re: Mint 10

Post by samu »

If your "old mint" installd on partition of its own - you can simply install it on that partition while keep the the /home partition to be added to the new one with all its containts - it means that you should format only the system (/) partition and not!!!! the ( /home) partition, for the new istallation. :idea:

Return to “Beginner Questions”