Installed Linux Mint 9

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joiner

Installed Linux Mint 9

Post by joiner »

Installed Linux Mint 9 to run along side windows vista as i have a few of the older Linux mint 8 programs installed, but when i boot up, windows vista is not in the list ,so i cannot login to my vista account, is there anyway i can get to run Microsoft vista or get it back on the list when i reboot my computer
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jroa

Re: Installed Linux Mint 9

Post by jroa »

Can you give the list of what does appear in Grub when you boot? Did Vista show up on the list with Mint 8?

You can download a bootable ISO called GAG which will let you access your Windows partition until you get Grub fixed.
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

joiner wrote:Installed Linux Mint 9 to run along side windows vista as i have a few of the older Linux mint 8 programs installed, but when i boot up, windows vista is not in the list ,so i cannot login to my vista account, is there anyway i can get to run Microsoft vista or get it back on the list when i reboot my computer
Terminal commands

Code: Select all

sudo os-prober

sudo update-grub
If that does not work, so ..

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install --reinstall libdebian-installer4

sudo os-prober

sudo update-grub
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Dual-booting
joiner

Post by joiner »

Hi Thanks for the help, typed in the commands in the terminal but vista not showing, vista was in the list with Linux mint 9 ( isdora ) and 8 i had about 6 Linux 8 programs some did not work when i installed them, but Linux 8 and 9 and vista did, when i installed Linux mint 9 (flukbox )yesterday i think it ask me about removing windows not sure but i said yes. should i try the next box below with help, says something about going to the grub site,
joiner

Post by joiner »

Been to the grub site and copied the the lines in the terminal but vista still not in the list at boot up
joiner

Post by joiner »

Please can you tell me there i go to download bookable ISO called GAG
colyn

Post by colyn »

joiner wrote:Please can you tell me there i go to download bookable ISO called GAG
This is the site where you can download it..

http://gag.sourceforge.net/
vincent

Post by vincent »

joiner wrote:when i installed Linux mint 9 (flukbox )yesterday i think it ask me about removing windows not sure but i said yes
Please elaborate a bit on what you just said. If you truly deleted Windows, i.e. the partition on which Windows resides, I'm afraid that there isn't a single bootloader in the world which can restore it for you.
joiner

Post by joiner »

Hi i installed Linux Mint 9, i had the dot highlighted to run side by side of windows when it asked, but it asked me something about removing something but i cannot remember what, it installed OK, but as i said vista was not on the list, got about 6 Ubuntu programs which i don't use, do you think if i could remove them vista would show in the list ? or am i stuck with the 6 programs to stay in the list
joiner

Post by joiner »

Downloaded GAG and installed it, as you said, now i can boot up to vista, can i switch to linux or will i have to reinstall linux mint
jroa

Post by jroa »

If you are using GAG, from what I understand, you have to install Grub on the Linux partition before GAG will boot that partition. I am not sure exactly what is involved in doing this, though.

Return to “Beginner Questions”