Defrag Windows, from Linux mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Foxsan48

Defrag Windows, from Linux mint

Post by Foxsan48 »

I was wondering how to Defrag Windows (7) from linux mint (Isadora, Kernel Linux 2.6.32-21-generic, GNOME 2.30.0, Mem: 1.9GB, Pentium Dual-core CPU, T4200 @ 2GHz) i just gave all that cos i have no idea what you need.
The reason for this question is that, there was an error while defraging windows and it is unbootible, oddly, all the files are accessible.

any help will be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JasonLG

Re: Defrag Windows, from Linux mint

Post by JasonLG »

Foxsan48 wrote:I was wondering how to Defrag Windows (7) from linux mint (Isadora, Kernel Linux 2.6.32-21-generic, GNOME 2.30.0, Mem: 1.9GB, Pentium Dual-core CPU, T4200 @ 2GHz) i just gave all that cos i have no idea what you need.
The reason for this question is that, there was an error while defraging windows and it is unbootible, oddly, all the files are accessible.

If your Windows system is unbootable then using Mint to defrag it isn't going to help. Just because defraging broke your system doesn't mean it'll fix it. You need to use a Windows 7 installation or recovery disc. Be aware that if you are dual booting Mint and 7 that fixing 7 will knockout GRUB, the Mint bootloader making it impossible to boot into Mint until you fix it. Before you do anything use Mint to backup your data to another drive.
Foxsan48

Post by Foxsan48 »

JasonLG wrote:
Foxsan48 wrote:I was wondering how to Defrag Windows (7) from linux mint (Isadora, Kernel Linux 2.6.32-21-generic, GNOME 2.30.0, Mem: 1.9GB, Pentium Dual-core CPU, T4200 @ 2GHz) i just gave all that cos i have no idea what you need.

If your Windows system is unbootable then using Mint to defrag it isn't going to help. Just because defraging broke your system doesn't mean it'll fix it. You need to use a Windows 7 installation or recovery disc. Be aware that if you are dual booting Mint and 7 that fixing 7 will knockout GRUB, the Mint bootloader making it impossible to boot into Mint until you fix it. Before you do anything use Mint to backup your data to another drive.
Booting from Micro SD Card, and i dont have the 7 disc, stupid kid stole it off me, so win 7 recovery disc, can i just download one?
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

I can't vouch for it but this is a link to a site that you can supposedly download a free Win 7 recovery disc from. It was literally the first result when I Googled "windows 7 recovery disc"
http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7 ... air-discs/
Google is your friend...
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

Foxsan48 wrote: so win 7 recovery disc, can i just download one?
A quick google search yielded a number of options using the terms
Windows 7 recovery disk download

From the first return, Neosmart
Thankfully, Microsoft seems to have realized this problem, and have thankfully made a recovery disc for this purpose. It contains the contents of the Windows 7 DVD's "recovery center," as we've come to refer to it. It cannot be used to install or reinstall Windows 7, and just serves as a Windows PE interface to recovering your PC. Technically, one could re-create this installation media with freely-downloadable media from Microsoft (namely the Microsoft WAIK kit, a multi-gigabyte download); but it's damn-decent of Microsoft to make this available to Windows' users who might not be capable of creating such a thing on their own. You can make your own copy from Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, but now you have an easier alternative.

NeoSmart Technologies is hosting a copy of the Windows 7 Recovery Disc for your convenience. It's a 143 MiB download (165 MiB for the 64-bit version), and in the standard ISO format, ready to burned directly to a CD or DVD. Don't wait until your PC crashes to download a copy! Download and burn your recovery disc today, so that when the time comes, you'll be ready!
The second return was from cybernetnews and they referenced the NeoSmart site. You will have to determine if you trust either of these or any other.
Foxsan48

Post by Foxsan48 »

Thank you very much guys, i shall try to use this and will tell you if it works or not.

also about Linux mint, it seems to be "acting up" when i go to tools>downloads, in Firefox, it closes, and open office is broken, "The application cannot be started. An internal error occurred."

just bad luck i guess, defrag error, then meant to go for driving lesson, car doesn't start, and now applications on Linux not working for me, perhaps i should just run from disc

Sorry off topic there, rant-ish
Foxsan48

Post by Foxsan48 »

Ok, i found out the problem was incorrectly removing LinuxMint while it was in the MBR so it tried to use grub boot loader, which no longer exists...until i reinstalled linuxmint because the disc drive annoies me being so loud

Return to “Beginner Questions”