1 white dot

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.

1 white dot

Post by 1984 »

Is what I see when I try to load LM. I burned the mint Iso image to cd. I restart the computer but instead of seeing mint loading with the options to use live cd or install I see a black screen with one tiny pixel lit up on the upper right side of the screen and nothing else.

I tried downloading the 32bit and 64 bit versions. Burned them to different disks and they both do the exact same thing. When it boots from the cd rom it does this.

Why is it doing this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jesica

Re: 1 white dot

Post by jesica »

sounds like you burned the iso wrong, what program did you use and how did you use it to burn the iso
Erinsfan

Post by Erinsfan »

Have you tried booting in compatability mode from the boot menu? With my PC Mint would get upset unless I did so.

Erin
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

1984 wrote:Is what I see when I try to load LM. I burned the mint Iso image to cd. I restart the computer but instead of seeing mint loading with the options to use live cd or install I see a black screen with one tiny pixel lit up on the upper right side of the screen and nothing else.

I tried downloading the 32bit and 64 bit versions. Burned them to different disks and they both do the exact same thing. When it boots from the cd rom it does this.

Why is it doing this?
Did you verify the MD5 of the downloaded ISOs before you burned the CDs? I once spent days troubleshooting a new install that would freeze after the re-boot. CD created fine, installation seemed to go well. Finally, I re-checked (apparently checked, not re-checked) the MD5, and it was wrong. Re-downloaded, re-installed, and all was well.

Did you burn the CDs on the slowest speed possible? Despite what blank CD manufacturers claim, I rarely believe that every run of every CD they produce is able to support the maximum burn speeds they claim. This is especially true of the no-name blank CDs.

Does the PC appear to be attempting to boot from the CD? i.e., does the CD-ROM drive run & demonstrate activity that you'd expect during a CD boot?

If all above is true, tell us more about the PC in question, especially the video.

Joe
dawgdoc

Post by dawgdoc »

It sounds like you may have stumbled into the Kernel Modesetting (KMS) issue. It can manifest in several ways. Check this post. First try the nomodeset boot parameter outlined in the post and its links before trying the commands for specific hardware.

Return to “Beginner Questions”