Installing desktop icons

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
77yrold

Installing desktop icons

Post by 77yrold »

Please do not tell me to go to manual unless you tell me how make text larger. Just returned installed from my old CD mint 7 and I am stuck. How do I create a desk top showing all icons of my favorite packages. This comprehension challenge (at 78) has me rather ashamed. Please help :oops:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
proxima_centauri

Re: Installing desktop icons

Post by proxima_centauri »

I think you can just right-click a menu entry and there should be an option to add it to the desktop. If not, you can click and drag the application in the menu to the desktop, which should create an icon.
isadora

Post by isadora »

Probably you can do this through "Organize Bookmarks".
In Firefox you can select all bookmarks, or make a selection, right-click and choose "Copy".
Other browsers have probably same functionality.
libssd
Level 4
Level 4

Post by libssd »

77yrold wrote:Please do not tell me to go to manual unless you tell me how make text larger. Just returned installed from my old CD mint 7 and I am stuck. How do I create a desk top showing all icons of my favorite packages. This comprehension challenge (at 78) has me rather ashamed. Please help :oops:
Don't worry about it; I took a mental assessment 3 weeks ago, and after a year of fiddling with Linux, all my test scores had improved!

I'm not ignoring your question, but at the moment I'm on a Mac, as my poor netbook is in the throes of Windows software/security updates, which tend to queue up, because I only start it every few months in order to apply updates... You will probably receive the answer to your question before Windows finishes updating. :evil:
albinard

Post by albinard »

I recommend the click-and-drag technique (click menu icon, drag to desktop), since it has worked for me just recently.

For font size: do a Google lookup for Readability: that is an easily-installed browser add-on that will change the font and point size of any web text. (I happen to know that because I just turned 77 two months ago! :oops: )

Return to “Beginner Questions”