Hulu will not play on Mint 9 for me

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whvann08

Hulu will not play on Mint 9 for me

Post by whvann08 »

Hey everyone. I am reposting this problem. I have 3 computers that I run Mint 9 on. Two are desktops and one laptop. I have watched Hulu for well over a year now with Mint 6 on my desktop and Mint 8 on my laptop. Now for some reason I can not play video from hulu. Not the main video anyway. The ads and commercials play fine just not the video. It requires flash. and that would be in Mint 9 version 10.1+ anyway. When I ran into this problem I found it to be so on all 3 computers. Desktop at home has 9 gnome laptop has 9 lxde and desktop at work has 9 lxde. Now I have even went back and tried Mint 8 live in my desktop and hulu played live fine so I tried mint 9 live and hulu would not play. Now mint 8 flash was version 10.0 so now I am going to reinstall 8 on my laptop and see if when it updated the flash from 10.0 to 10.1 if hulu will still play. Just want to know if anyone else has had this problem. I have had it on 3 computer so I know I am not alone on this. If there is a way to fix this with out downgrading to mint 8 please let me know

Henry
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
whvann08

Re: Hulu will not play on Mint 9 for me

Post by whvann08 »

Well Hulu will not play for my under Mint 9 but it plays fine on Mint 8 with the same flash version as 9 Go figure. I don't understand why this is. It must not be the flash but the way 9 runs it. I just can't figure out why youtube plays fine but hulu suck both run from flash. Well Looks like I will have to downgrade all computers for this to work. If anyone else has seen this let me know.

Henry
Jay514

Post by Jay514 »

Henry,
I missed this post earlier, There is a How To Post That Deals With this Issue & That May Help Here = http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=51389
I Hope this Resolves You Issues, Have a Good Day. :D
whvann08

Post by whvann08 »

This does not apply to 32 bit which is what I am running. Like I said I have not had any problem with youtube just hulu. Now I don't know if I am missing any files that is needed but I can look.

Thanks for the help

Henry
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

I am wondering if it could be how the browsers behave in Mint 9. With Firefox I can play flash vids on Youtube and Justin.tv etc., but the Hulu videos will not play. If I use Chromium browser all videos from all sites including Hulu play just fine. I would try the different major browsers before moving backwards to Mint 8.
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
grahamgo

Post by grahamgo »

tdockery97 wrote:I am wondering if it could be how the browsers behave in Mint 9. With Firefox I can play flash vids on Youtube and Justin.tv etc., but the Hulu videos will not play. If I use Chromium browser all videos from all sites including Hulu play just fine. I would try the different major browsers before moving backwards to Mint 8.
using Mint 9 32bit version. The browser version works fine, the Hulu application works but quite often I see 100% utilization of one of my dual cpu's, the PC fans run high speed etc. If I quit the Hulu app things go back to normal. The problem seems to be with the Hulu app and the flash player. But I have not had chance to investigate this in detail. Sorry.
whvann08

Post by whvann08 »

Thanks but I am not using the hulu desktop I just stream the vids from ther web site. I only use 32 bit. Now I have reinstalled mint 9 xfce to try to figure this out. I love mint 9 and hope that one way or another I can get rid of this bug. I have tried chromium with no luck. This what happens when I play a vid from hulu. First the commercial will play fine. go figure. then the vid will load for a few seconds and start to play then it will stop. Reload and start to play again from the start not where it stopped at but alot of the time the audio will keep playing when the vid stops or if you pause it for the buffer to get full. anyway most of the video has audio over audio with different segments of the audio playing with what is suppose to be playing with the vid. So that is my problem and I have only seen this on hulu. Like I said I can play anything on youtube or other websites with no problems at all.
Any help would be great.

Henry

Return to “Beginner Questions”