installing tar.gz, tar.gz.sig or rpm packages in mint

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RickWolf

installing tar.gz, tar.gz.sig or rpm packages in mint

Post by RickWolf »

i'm sure alot of you have had the same problem i have had at one time or another, not being able to find a debian package for a badly needed update or program for mint. i've been using mint 8 for about a year, and i don't know how many times i've run into this problem, but i am now using mint 9 on a laptop i just repaired, and again, i need an update for my clamav antivirus and all i can find at sourceforge are tar.gz and tar.gz.sig packages. sometimes rpm packages. do any of yall know if there is a program or app. for mint 9 that will allow me to install these types of packages in mint? maybe even something with a nice gui that has nothing to do with typing 5 million lines of commands in my terminal? i have never compiled lines of script to create a debian package from an rpm, tar.gz, etc, package to...i guess the term is cross-platform? and i would thoroughly love avoiding this at all costs.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dawgdoc

Re: installing tar.gz, tar.gz.sig or rpm packages in mint

Post by dawgdoc »

Many of the clam/clamav packages are available through Package Manager (Synaptic) installing from there may be the easiest route.

rpm packages -- An application named alien is available through Synaptic, its description is convert and install rpm and other packages

tar.gz -- if it is a theme, you do not unpack (unzip) these before using HERE
Otherwise in a terminal to unpack a .tar.gz file

Code: Select all

tar xvfz filename.tar.gz
If you are compiling from source, there are other commands after this which will be necessary. Check the readme file once you have unpacked the .tar.gz. AND, if you have a tar.bz2 file, the command is different.
This post by vrkalak has links to pages re: compiling from tar balls, installing from .bin, rpm and others.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: installing tar.gz, tar.gz.sig or rpm packages in mint

Post by Old Ruler »

As dawgdoc says, first port of call should be Synaptic Package Manager. Second, for me though is a file type you haven't mentioned, so I thought I'd mention .deb packages.

For Mint 9, if you can find the application, library etc. you need for ubuntu (10.04) Lucid Lynx, there's a very good chance you can install it with just a click (or double click if you're set up that way).

Also, you can usually open an archive (.tar, .tar.gz, ..bz2 etc.) by similarly clicking on it. Then click 'extract'.

I think trying to use Alien to convert .rpm to .deb would be a step too far at this stage.

Return to “Beginner Questions”