Increasing scrollwheel speed

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
baka_toroi

Increasing scrollwheel speed

Post by baka_toroi »

I installed Linux Mint Isadora a week ago and everything is perfect, except for this annoying problem: when I scroll down (or up) using the scroll-wheel in my mouse, the scrolling itself is very slow (around 1 line). I use Google Chrome to browse the web but the problem occurs in every application.

I checked in all the obvious GUI places and couldn't find anything.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Old Ruler
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Increasing scrollwheel speed

Post by Old Ruler »

Linux Mint inherits this problem from ubuntu. All I can say is; you are not alone in wanting a fix:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1531462
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

in firefox you can workaround it using about:config
search for "mousewheel". You should see an option called "mousewheel.withnokey.numlines" - change this to whatever you like, I have mine set to ten, which is somewhat faster than the default. You'll also need to set "mousewheel.withnokey.sysnumlines" to "false".

Remove all the quotes from the above instructions.
but its a pain - I don't remember ever suffering so much with scroll speed as I do in Mint 9...
Gonna try LMDE soon
Last edited by qbicdesign on Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
qbicdesign

Post by qbicdesign »

a little off topic, but not totally.
I was about to suggest that for fast scrolling reconfigure the middle mouse button to act as down arrow (which scrolls way faster)
BUT! the mouse options in Control Center don't give any options for assigning anything at all to middle mouse button!
Really not good...

Return to “Beginner Questions”