[SOLVED]Mint Desktop Problem

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Chrispy

[SOLVED]Mint Desktop Problem

Post by Chrispy »

Hello Mint community!

Most of our employees in the office use Mint 7 at the moment but we are in the process of upgrading to Mint 9. The home-directories are located on the server and mounted to the clients via nfs. Therefore, multiple users can login on their local machine as the same user, sharing their home-directories and files.

Today, I wanted to configure a new pc. After installing Linux Mint 9 32-bit I ran into the following problem:

If I login as an user that is also being used on a Mint 7 machine, there is nothing attached to the panel. So I added the MintMenu, the clock etc. but then I checked on the Mint 7 machines, if it had some impact on their desktop. Unfortunately, on those machines everything was displayed twice where on the freshly installed Mint 9 machine, everything looked just fine.

I wanted to ask if there's a solution that users on both machine types (Mint 7 and 9) have a proper desktop. The upgrade to Mint 9 will take some time and in the meanwhile I'm looking for a solution.

Greetings,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
vincent

Re: Mint Desktop Problem

Post by vincent »

This was a common issue here on the forums when people upgraded from Mint 8 to Mint 9, while retaining all those config files in their Home directory. For some reason, the GConf settings (~/.gconf) in past versions of Mint conflict with Mint 9...I suppose the Gnome developers neglected to iron out some compatibility issues between recent releases of Gnome, or something to that effect. Basically, if you want to avoid these weird desktop issues, you're going to have to delete ~/.gconf (and for good measure, ~/.gconfd and ~/.gnome* should all be removed as well), so that the next time you restart the X server (i.e. log out and log back in), the default gconf folder will be created in your Home directory (it's hidden of course, but CTRL + H in Nautilus will reveal all hidden directories/files), and you'll have a functioning desktop and panel again, just like on a freshly installed Mint 9 desktop.

Take note that deleting .gconf will also delete all custom panels, backgrounds, themes, icon sets, etc. and reset them to default.
Chrispy

Re: Mint Desktop Problem

Post by Chrispy »

Thank you for your fast response!:)

Will try it right away!

Return to “Beginner Questions”