[SOLVED] linux partitions format

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Gatz

[SOLVED] linux partitions format

Post by Gatz »

Hi,
I want to give up on windows; in fact I'll keep just one ntfs partition for school programs. The rest of partitions I want to format on something specific linux.
What type of format is recommended? ext4, ext3 or something else?
Is still recommended to have many partitions or that is just a windows thingy?

50-55 degrees Celsius it's OK for a laptop hard drive?
Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
isadora

Re: linux partitions format

Post by isadora »

Ext4 is quite common these days.
Although you could go for XFS, very fast.
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

Gatz wrote: What type of format is recommended? ext4, ext3 or something else?
ext 2 is stable but lacks journaling. You want journaling to prevent problems if the operating systems crashes. All the other formats (file systems) are perfect for you. Only very experienced power users and server admins care about which filesystem to use. You can just throw a die to choose a filesystem.

Personally I have reiserfs for / and XFS for /home.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Gatz wrote:Hi,
I want to give up on windows; in fact I'll keep just one ntfs partition for school programs. The rest of partitions I want to format on something specific linux.
What type of format is recommended? ext4, ext3 or something else?
Is still recommended to have many partitions or that is just a windows thingy?

50-55 degrees Celsius it's OK for a laptop hard drive?
Thanks
I'd go with ext4 for a file system type.

I generally do a 10GB / partition, a swap partition just a little bigger than my RAM(4GB in my case) so suspend works properly and use the rest of the drive for my /home partition. The order you want to partition them in is / then /home then swap.

As long as your drive stays below 60 degrees you should be fine.
Gatz

Post by Gatz »

JasonLG wrote: I'd go with ext4 for a file system type.

I generally do a 10GB / partition, a swap partition just a little bigger than my RAM(4GB in my case) so suspend works properly and use the rest of the drive for my /home partition. The order you want to partition them in is / then /home then swap.
now I figure out what are you saying is very logic
you say ext4 only for / partition or for the entire drive(if not what you recommend for the rest of it)?
if I reinstall linux the /home partition will be erased or the data will be OK as long I don't check the format box on install?
gnopak wrote: ext 2 is stable but lacks journaling. You want journaling to prevent problems if the operating systems crashes. All the other formats (file systems) are perfect for you. Only very experienced power users and server admins care about which filesystem to use. You can just throw a die to choose a filesystem.
Well I can't just trow a die to choose a filesystem. Sooner I'll have to take care of some servers so until then I have to learn everything I can. So finding out what experienced power users and server admins use, it's important for me.
JasonLG

Post by JasonLG »

Gatz wrote:
JasonLG wrote: I'd go with ext4 for a file system type.

now I figure out what are you saying is very logic
you say ext4 only for / partition or for the entire drive(if not what you recommend for the rest of it)?
if I reinstall linux the /home partition will be erased or the data will be OK as long I don't check the format box on install?
Ext 4 for / and /home, swap has it's own file system.

If you reinstall your home will be destroyed because by default it is in the / partition it is not it's own partition. That is the point of making a separate /home partition so that when you reinstall for an upgrade or because you break your system you can choose to mount your /home partition in the new install without reformatting it and you don't have to worry about your data.
Midnighter
Level 6
Level 6

Re: [SOLVED] linux partitions format

Post by Midnighter »

Anything you would to access from windows, i suggest formatting as ext3, as I have my storage drives, then install the extfsd driver in windows to be able to read and write to them. :)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ext2fsd/
Ext2Fsd is an open source linux ext2/ext3 file system driver for Windows systems (NT/2K/XP/VISTA, X86/AMD64).
If you accept - and I do - that freedom of speech is important, then you are going to have to defend the indefensible. That means you are going to be defending the right of people to read, or to write, or to say, what you don't say or like or want said.
gnopak

Post by gnopak »

Gatz wrote: Well I can't just trow a die to choose a filesystem.
Understood. Start here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_systems and read about filesystems that Linux Mint offers during install.

Return to “Beginner Questions”