Wifi

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
flarovere

Wifi

Post by flarovere »

I just installed Isadora on a dell inspiron 9400, and it wont let me get on the internet. under the internet connections it says that the wireless network is disabled. I have tried looking for this on the forums, and I have no clue were it is, if there is an answer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rmockler

Re: Wifi

Post by rmockler »

As a first step, please try the following, and if it does not work, we will move on from there. I believe the wifi card in the 9400 is based on a Broadcom chip, requiring proprietary drivers which can be installed easily from the Ubuntu user interface itself by choosing System > Administration > Hardware Drivers from the main menu.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

flarovere wrote:I just installed Isadora on a dell inspiron 9400, and it wont let me get on the internet. under the internet connections it says that the wireless network is disabled. I have tried looking for this on the forums, and I have no clue were it is, if there is an answer.
First go here: Menu>System>Hardware Drivers and if you find one available install the driver for your Network card. You will need an Ethernet connection to download the driver. Then left click the Network Icon in your Panel and see if you have something like the attached which shows my connection. A click on that will get a menu to type in your security code. A reboot may be necessary or a logout to get it started.
flarovere

Post by flarovere »

I looked at the packages, and i checked the card, and they dont match up. the packages are listed for different cards than the one i have.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

flarovere wrote:I looked at the packages, and i checked the card, and they dont match up. the packages are listed for different cards than the one i have.
Post the results of the following command in Terminal

Code: Select all

lspci
flarovere

Post by flarovere »

here it is

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub (rev 03)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express PCI Express Root Port (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 2 (rev 01)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 4 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility X1400
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)
03:01.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Ricoh Co Ltd R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller
03:01.1 SD Host controller: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/MSPro Host Adapter (rev 19)
03:01.2 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C843 MMC Host Controller (rev 0a)
03:01.3 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter (rev 05)
03:01.4 System peripheral: Ricoh Co Ltd xD-Picture Card Controller (rev ff)
0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01) is your Network Controller.
You should probably use a Broadcom STA driver. If that was one of the choices, install it and it should work.
flarovere

Post by flarovere »

i try to install it, but it wont allow me to. it starts, then says it wont work.
bobcollard

Post by bobcollard »

flarovere wrote:i try to install it, but it wont allow me to. it starts, then says it wont work.
Try this thread. Its for ubuntu, but, it works.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1347483&page=2
Here is another approach from Mint:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=109&t=52358

Return to “Beginner Questions”