Cant write in shared folder on XP computer.

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cecar

Cant write in shared folder on XP computer.

Post by cecar »

Hi all.

Doing my best to leave windows world and enter the world of Linux Mint. ;)

I have a trouble with write rights to an Windows XP computer on my network. The folder is shared with read an write rights but i cant write in it from my Linux Mint computer. There is no troubles writing to it from another Windows computer, i can browse the share from my Linux Mint computer. I just cant write in it (add files). Doing the other way around is no problem either (write on Linux Mint share from Windows XP computer).

Soooo... Anyone who can help a lost user here? ;)

Thanks... Cecar..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
StanTheMan

Re: Cant write in shared folder on XP computer.

Post by StanTheMan »

I have an NTFS partition that I set up when I installed Mint in the partition setup. I specificied it to be mounted on /media/VISTA . Actually it is up to you what mount directory you use or how you spell it.

drwxrwx--- 1 root plugdev 12288 2010-08-24 17:18 Vista

But if you did not set it up at install time, you can create a mount directory and set up the permissions. By default Mint makes the sudo User a member of the group ' plugdev '
You can make your target directory permissions with group=" plugdev " an give it read and write permiissons, like this - -

Terminal
cd /media
sudo mkdir Vista
sudo chgrp plugdev Vista
sudo chmod g+rw Vista

Then edit your /etc/fstab file to include this in the start up

/dev/sda1 /media/Vista ntfs defaults 0 0

Return to “Beginner Questions”