Jeez...

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
UnityXPeaceXEquality

Jeez...

Post by UnityXPeaceXEquality »

Okay, so...
Today I went through 4 Linux distros, trying DESPERATELY to find a distro that was going to properly run World of Warcraft on my laptop.

First...
I tried Ubuntu 10.04 x32.
Now, in the past I've used Ubuntu (Pre 10.04) and I'd say they must have done something SERIOUSLY wrong with their newest release, because it was HORRIBLE. When I installed the proprietary driver and rebooted it booted into some strange low graphics mode. Once I solved that problem, which must have taken another hour or so, I installed and configured Wine. After doing that, I migrated my WoW folder from my Windows 7 partition to my Ubuntu partition. I setup my config.confused to run in opengl, and attempted to run it. WoW started up, I logged in, and I was getting a flat readout of 7FPS. I tried a few things in my Wine configuration, read a few instructions online, and tried again... Same thing.

Second...
I tried Fedora 13 x32.
As soon as I started looking around this distro, I simply said, "...What..?"
Everything on this distro is organized in a strange manner and nothing makes sense. Not to mention trying to find your hardware drivers and whatnot is a pain in the arse. Sooo, I simply gave up on it after about an hour or so, it didn't seem to be worth my time.

Third (And the distro I'm writing this from)...
I tried PCLinuxOS 2010.
I've been fiddling with this distro for about 4 hours, because I liked how it looked. Well, after all this time... I realized that this distro (while apparently powerful) isn't meant for newbie users, I don't care what the reviews say. Everything is scattered, there isn't a basic task manager, it took me forever to figure out how to even change my desktop background... So on, and so forth.

Finally...
I'm going with Linux Mint.
A while back I installed Linux Mint on my grandma's computer, and she's been using it ever since. She has no trouble with it, and whenever I go to do the usual updates and whatnot, it's so easy, and it's aestitics are pleasing. The package manager (I believe it's still Synaptics) isn't anywhere near as ugly as PCLinuxOS's. I hear that Linux Mint is truly better than Ubuntu (And I wouldn't be surprised, considering all the bugs and glitches I went through in 10.04.).

So, after all that ranting that I just needed to get out, let's get down to business...

After I finish the installation of Linux Mint, I want to get my hands dirty...
Below I've put my computer's hardware information, if it helps.

I want to run dungeons in WoW TONIGHT on some distro of Linux. I don't want to just give up and go scurrying back to my Windows boot!
So, I ask you now, oh great and knowledgeable users of the Linux Mint forums, please... PLEASE... Help me get WoW running.

P.S.: I'm not a complete noob to Linux, and I'm actually quite tech savvy (A true wizard of Windows. My OS is just falling apart, which happens constantly in Windows, and I don't want to have to do Registry cleans, defrags, virus scans, registry tweaks, and all these other aspects of Windows - especially if it just leaves me with a non-consistent 30-40 FPS on WoW..!)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
linuxviolin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Jeez...

Post by linuxviolin »

UnityXPeaceXEquality wrote:Second...
I tried Fedora 13 x32.
As soon as I started looking around this distro, I simply said, "...What..?"
Everything on this distro is organized in a strange manner and nothing makes sense. Not to mention trying to find your hardware drivers and whatnot is a pain in the arse. Sooo, I simply gave up on it after about an hour or so, it didn't seem to be worth my time.
I'm sorry I can't help you about WoW but I was a little surprised by your comment, and don't understand it, about Fedora. I have Fedora and CentOS. Everything is clear, simple, logical... Ok you have not everything "out of the box" and sometimes you'll have to seek a little to know what you must do, but nothing difficult. But Fedora's priorities tend to lean towards enterprise features, rather than desktop usability. This can be a stop for some. But you should try Arch or Gentoo for instance, to see... :roll:
Last edited by linuxviolin on Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
K.I.S.S. ===> "Keep It Simple, Stupid"
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." (Leonardo da Vinci)
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Albert Einstein)
cra1g321

Post by cra1g321 »

why dont you try dual-booting ?? i use linux mint for everything and then windows for the odd pc game i wanna play,
UnityXPeaceXEquality

Post by UnityXPeaceXEquality »

Well, I am dual booting.
But, my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 is somehow corrupted.
I have constant problems with sound and video.
I've replaced my drivers, again and again, nothing seems to fix it.
Hence why I'm flocking to Linux, considering I can't run Mac OS on anything but an Apple computer.
OldManHook

Post by OldManHook »

UnityXPeaceXEquality wrote:Well, I am dual booting.
But, my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 is somehow corrupted.
I have constant problems with sound and video.
I've replaced my drivers, again and again, nothing seems to fix it.
Hence why I'm flocking to Linux, considering I can't run Mac OS on anything but an Apple computer.
Jeez... Is right,The Linux OS's you tried are some of the best-But as you see you cannot run your Windows games,you don't have to try any other Distros no linux OS will run the window games. If you must have these games you will have to fix your window install,While you can't play your games in Mint You might enjoy it as an OS.
Good Luck-Hope You give mint a complete try :shock:
mick55

Post by mick55 »

WoW works perfectly on Linux Mint (which is Ubuntu based).

You have to run it in "wine".

Here is a tutorial on how to set it up.

mick

Return to “Beginner Questions”