[SOLVED] lost /root

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED] lost /root

Post by darco »

Strange problem here..,,,I recently built a new system. In my new pc, I have one drive and installed Win 7. I then pulled the drive from the old system which contains Mint and Win 7, and connected it as a slave. Booted into Win 7 (no grub) and transferred some files/docs from the old drive (win 7).
Formatted the old win 7 partition. In Win 7, disk management confirms all the Mint partitions (swap/root and home)
Shut down pc, disconnected new drive and booted up the old drive and which gave me grub for Mint and Win 7 (which was deleted), chose Mint, all booted fine. Did the latest updates and then did a update grub after reconnecting new drive. Rebooted and saw that grub was updated, chose Win 7 and all is well.
Rebooted to Mint and now I get an error that sda4 is missing and it drops me to a shell (initramfs).
Was it the updates or the partition change that caused this problem? I was able to log into mint after the partition change but why did sda4 get wiped out all of a sudden? I think sda4 was my /home.
Any advice to recover?
txs

ps if not, Ill just wait for Mint Deb!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
oobetimer

Re: lost /home

Post by oobetimer »

darco wrote:Strange problem here..,,,I recently built a new system. In my new pc, I have one drive and installed Win 7. I then pulled the drive from the old system which contains Mint and Win 7, and connected it as a slave. Booted into Win 7 (no grub) and transferred some files/docs from the old drive (win 7).
Formatted the old win 7 partition. In Win 7, disk management confirms all the Mint partitions (swap/root and home)
Shut down pc, disconnected new drive and booted up the old drive and which gave me grub for Mint and Win 7 (which was deleted), chose Mint, all booted fine. Did the latest updates and then did a update grub after reconnecting new drive. Rebooted and saw that grub was updated, chose Win 7 and all is well.
Rebooted to Mint and now I get an error that sda4 is missing and it drops me to a shell (initramfs).
Was it the updates or the partition change that caused this problem? I was able to log into mint after the partition change but why did sda4 get wiped out all of a sudden? I think sda4 was my /home.
Any advice to recover?
txs

ps if not, Ill just wait for Mint Deb!
Grub has lost the root-partition.. :roll:

You could fix it via liveCD, but perhaps this CD makes things easier.. :wink:

One solution can be not to use UUID onto grub.cfg

Uncomment that line --> GRUB_DISABLE_LINUX_UUID=true

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#grub (/etc/default/grub)
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

ya, you're right, its the root partition.....I disconnected the new drive and booted up the old and MInt loaded just fine....reconnected new drive and I get the sda4 missing error message. So proceed with your advice>?
oobetimer

Post by oobetimer »

darco wrote:ya, you're right, its the root partition.....I disconnected the new drive and booted up the old and MInt loaded just fine....reconnected new drive and I get the sda4 missing error message. So proceed with your advice>?
Yeah.. Grub2 is beta still, so it can do that kind of suprises .. :lol:
Last edited by oobetimer on Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
darco
Level 4
Level 4

Post by darco »

ok, I saw that line in grub and it was Uncommented,,,,I added the comment and it booted up fine..
thxs

Return to “Beginner Questions”