Killing a corrupted program

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jgallaway81

Killing a corrupted program

Post by jgallaway81 »

Windows convertie.... hopefully anyways...

When a program crashed and I needed to clear it from memory, I Ctrl + Alt + Del'ed... I have a media player app that I used under windows, its worked fine until this morning, it crashed, leaving its icon in the tray.... now trying to re-initialize the app it crashes on launch. I have to assume this is because part of it is still running, or its icon wouldn't be in the tray, right?

By the way, this app runs under wine1.2 on my installation.

How do I access the Linux equivalent to the Windows Task Manager?

Please help! I don't want to have to shut the system down and reboot every time somethign goes wrong.... if that is the case, whats teh difference between linux & windows? (sorry if I sound like I am begging.... because I am.)

I really am trying to give this install a fair shake... and using Wine seems to be the solution for two reasons to stick with windows... but its these nagging little differences that really make this transition harder.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eiver
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Killing a corrupted program

Post by eiver »

The program you are looking for is called System Monitor. You can find it under: Mint Menu -> Administration -> System Monitor

P.S.
There are many possible ways to launch system monitor. You can even set up a keyboard shortcut, so it would launch after pressing ctrl+alt+del if you want to.
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

jgallaway81 wrote:Windows convertie.... hopefully anyways...I really am trying to give this install a fair shake... and using Wine seems to be the solution for two reasons to stick with windows... but its these nagging little differences that really make this transition harder.
..but its these nagging little differences that really make this transition harder
I hope so, however if you intend to keep running windows applications, even if you run them under wine, you won't really have stepped into Linux, you only have a toe in the water, and maybe you will extract it at any moment: fair shake or not..

As a point of interest to a windows (convert) giving Linux a fair shake -->there are plenty of media players within Linux that are available..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:L ... ia_players
jgallaway81

Post by jgallaway81 »

DrHu wrote:..but its these nagging little differences that really make this transition harder
I hope so, however if you intend to keep running windows applications, even if you run them under wine, you won't really have stepped into Linux, you only have a toe in the water, and maybe you will extract it at any moment: fair shake or not..

As a point of interest to a windows (convert) giving Linux a fair shake -->there are plenty of media players within Linux that are available..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:L ... ia_players
First, why do you hope the differences make the transition more difficult? I'm asking, not to be smart, because I'm assuming you have a legit reason, and I'm reading more into this statement than intended.

Second, I do understand the multitude of players available under linux. And eventually I'll get to finding one I like... I hope. As for this particular program, I really like it. Even though it was never updated after 2001, its still a very powerful program for my needs. And it works, or it did, when the built-in players had trouble working my hardware. (a very large amount of skipping while playing files).

As for wine not truly using Linux, I see it as a necessary compromise. Unless there is a version of Linux that can natively run dos/win executable? Because, as of yet, I have NOT managed to find a linux IM client that can pull off all the features of Digsby (and yes, I have begged & pleaded at their forums for the linux version) as well as the Starcraft game anthology.

As for everything else? I have managed to find linux equivalents.
Dave68

Post by Dave68 »

Actually, gdebi uses a similar feature to the double-click executable that Windows uses. It opens .deb packages, keeping in mind that you will want to make sure they are Ubuntu Compatible, and view the Source Code. I hope I am understanding the statement correctly:
jgallaway81 wrote:Unless there is a version of Linux that can natively run dos/win executable?
It's not dos/win .exe compatible, but there are a whole lot of .deb packages with very good features. An example of this is Frostwire. Through the Repositories, only version 18.X is available (last time I checked). Whereas, if you go to the Frostwire Site you can download a Ubuntu .deb file for 21.X with no issues that I've noticed.

As far as Digsby, I'm not familiar with this Software, but you can always Google for, "Linux Alternatives for Digsby". I have found a lot of replacements for many of the Windows Programs I used to run. In most cases, they are more stable, and have additional features that you don't have to pay a Premium for.

Good Luck In Your Linux Endeavor. I may have Windows 7 on my PC, but I only boot into it once a week to run a Virus Scan on it. Something that I haven't had to worry too much about in Linux. I'm not saying there not out there, but they seem to be few and far between, and I've only heard of one in the last year, and that one was quickly discovered by the Linux Community, and the issue was resolved very quickly.

Keep in mind, that if you are running Wine, even in Linux, you can pick up a Windows Virus. Although, it would probably stay in the Wine directory.

Take Care,
Dave
DrHu

Post by DrHu »

jgallaway81 wrote:As for wine not truly using Linux, I see it as a necessary compromise. Unless there is a version of Linux that can natively run dos/win executable? Because, as of yet, I have NOT managed to find a linux IM client that can pull off all the features of Digsby
Er, Er!

..As for wine not truly using Linux, I see it as a necessary compromise
Agreed! for some special programs, not generic or commodity applications

I just took your comments/question as a windows user who is stuck in the past, not wanting to find any Linux equivalents, and insisting that wine works with X(application), so I need to keep using that
--I also use wine occasionally, for example I quite like @last sketchup/now google sketchup as well as bliner
  • Then again, perhaps I too am misconstruing your commentary and reading too much into the -->I use Linux, but I am a windows user? argument .
..Unless there is a version of Linux that can natively run dos/win executable?
No Agreement here!
Why would Linux even have the facility to run a windows program
  • when Windows seems heel-bound not to run any alien program (Apple OS-X, Linux) on their OS, and being the biggest they can more easily afford to be magnanimous -->but of course they don't
Other than some special examples, such as those two, I am using Linux fully and I do find OpenOffice to be enough of an office suite

If I was really stuck and it looked like ms office was a requirement, I might use some of the on-line services that purport to better match ms office product lines

But I doubt that I would stick with a generic application, such as a word processor or an IRC or newsreader application that only ran as a windows executable: I would be using an equivalent under Linux

So, we can agree to disagree, I won't try to convert you from windows to Linux, now or eventually or at any other time
  • I'll simply let you get on with it using a hybrid Windows /Linux style. Just don't expect Linux to provide a windows OS answer, it can't and it won't
jgallaway81

Post by jgallaway81 »

DrHu... I have a feeling we are not communicating effectively...

I freely admit, I know pretty much nothing in regards to linux. I am... er, I was a windows power user. I've been using DOS/Windows since 1986 when my parents got me a 12mhz 286. I've used several versions of DOS, and Win3.0, 3.1, 3.11W4WG, NT4.0-WS & Svr, 95-OEM, A, B &C, 98, 98SE, XP-Home, Pro, Pro-64, MCE & Tablet, Vista Home Basic & 7 Home Premium.

My point of all that, is that the Windows operating architecture is all I know. Transitioning to Linux has been... a culture shock. To go from helping others using their systems, to needing help with the most basic of tasks is... humbling to say the least.

Part of the problem is that the inherant underlaying technologies are so different, I find it hard to articulate what I am trying to do, using the linux appropriate terminology.

In all honesty, OpenOffice is the reason I was willing to give Linux the chance to convert me. Until last year, I used Office2000 exclusively. When I ran into a need to work with PDFs, I gave OO3 a try. Since then, when I did a system format and rebuilt my computer's software base, MSO2k did not get reinstalled. OO3 did and has worked (aside from a few minor behavior issues) very well since, and I have no intention to look back.

The software I want WINE for is my Instant messaging client. Digsby, a free application, allows me to access ALL the IM networks I use, as well as several I don't. It also continuosly updates my email's inbox status, FB, MS, Twitter & other network conditions. Until they decide to provide a linux native version, I am stuck using the windows/WINE setup.

The other application, STP or System TrayPlayer is a tiny mp3 jukebox that works superbly for my needs. Eventually I might find a linux native application to replace STP... but I never found another Windows app that could pull off the features & simplicity of STP, so I find it unlikely.

Please do not consider my ramblings as an attempt to say that linux software is inferior to the windows side, far from it.

Sincerely,
Jason

Return to “Beginner Questions”