Removing old linux 8 from the start up list

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
joiner

Removing old linux 8 from the start up list

Post by joiner »

I have Linux mint 8 installed 4 times and have just installed Linux mint 9 running side by side with Microsoft windows, in the start up menu,how can i remove the 4 Linux mint 8 from the list not to show a start up can anyone give me a step by step instructions how to remove them,
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karuga

Re: Removing old linux 8 from the start up list

Post by karuga »

are the for 4 linux 8 installed?if so,why have 4 same linux installed?anyway,make sure if you are installing,go to the partition table and remove
anything you dont want,since by the look of things,they four are still installed.
joiner

Post by joiner »

how do i go to the partition ? will i have to put the live disk in and reinstall Linux mint 9, to see it, if so how do i remove them
karuga

Post by karuga »

since you have already installed your OS ,you can or you may not use a cd again.
if not to use cd,go to the terminal and type su
it prompts you for password and you enter it,actually with no graphical output.
after that ,type gparted

you can delete any partition from there ,leaving what you want.Make sure you leave the right part
since if not,you remove the loader(grub)

A cd comes if you want to wipe out everything,and also to free more space in the harddisk.In gparted you can merge partitions but thatwould mean
you go to the terminal,which i assume you want to do without.
I prefer cd but its after i have backed up my data.
Once in the partition table,make sure all components have the right memory given,to the swap,root and any other files.

If you choose the cd one,please write back and i will guide on that part of the partition table
joiner

Post by joiner »

Hi
Thanks for the info, yes a would like to use the live CD to remove the programs, i will print it out then i will have all the info you send me, can i ask you a question can i keep my Microsoft vista on, and take all the Linux programs off, and gain all the hard disk space, ( only got 17 gig left on my hard drive )and put Linux Mint 9 back on ? I have my family tree and all my pictures on vista, at 75 coming 76 I am new with Linux but I like it, so quick and no viruses
Silent Warrior
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Silent Warrior »

Hold on, hold on! Before you do anything drastic: Have you installed Mint to its own partition (normal), or did you use Wubi, the installer running in Windows? Wubi will probably require a different approach than the regular method...
talsadus

Post by talsadus »

If you installed it in a normal way..
One easy way of remove all linux is to go into your vista,
right click on My Computer and choose Manage
(Or Computer Management in the Administrative Tools in maybe Control Panel)

Then under the Disk Management you can right click and delete all your linux partitions
After that you can install from the CD/DVD again using the option Largest free space on the harddisk..

You can also do this using GParted program on linux but I'm not sure if that program is included in the Live CD/DVD or not.
joiner

Post by joiner »

Hi
Yes I did install it normal, i will go into vista and do as you say thanks again
joiner

Post by joiner »

Hi
Went to vista and computer management, big list and shows drive C: and drive D: I have two drives installed, it shows a lot partitions on drive D: it but I don't know which one to delete, are they called volumes I thought they would be on drive C: I have come out of it I don't think I can remove them not a clue what I am doing ( downloaded delete a hard disk partition file ) it says right-click the volume and click delete volume
leejosepho

Post by leejosepho »

joiner wrote:Hi
Went to vista and computer management, big list and shows drive C: and drive D: I have two drives installed, it shows a lot partitions on drive D: it but I don't know which one to delete, are they called volumes I thought they would be on drive C: I have come out of it I don't think I can remove them not a clue what I am doing ( downloaded delete a hard disk partition file ) it says right-click the volume and click delete volume
Inside Vista, you are looking for "Disk Management" within "Computer Management" under "Administrative Tools" in "Control Panel". So, go to your Control Panel and click "Administrative Tools", then "Computer Management" where you will find "Disk Management". But be very careful there, and come right back here if you have any questions!
talsadus

Post by talsadus »

Under disk management probably Disk0:

Just make sure you don't delete ones with label
Healthy (Recovery Partition) (if you have one)
Healthy (System Boot,......)

Delete the other ones without drive letters assign
joiner

Post by joiner »

Hi
Put in a live disk to install Linux mint 9 and it showed all the Linux programs was on my D: drive not my C: drive so i deleted them all and installed Linux 9, so it got rid of all the programs and it boots up to the Linux 9 at boot up, but I lost my vista, on my desktop now is my C: drive. i made a backup of my windows last week onto an external hard drive do you think i could run the backup and if i put in my vista disk hit f12 on my computer it would reinstall my windows
talsadus

Post by talsadus »

I'm sorry for your lost of vista.
I'm not sure how your partition is laid out
but you should not have deleted the ones with drive letter assign
because they are used by your windows.

Guess you have to try with your F12. I have not installed Vista before,
but with XP you can repair your windows installation with the disk.

I'm not sure if the back up has drive letter assign or not,
if it does not work you might have to recreate D: partition with ntfs file system,
and try the back up again...
karuga

Post by karuga »

Am so sorry for the loss of Vista.Actually,i blame myself for vanishing.Sorry though,i was held up with exams.
The best way to have retained the Vista was to use the Installation of 9 again,at the patition table,remove everything BUT not the one in NTFS file system(your Vista)After that,install the 9,which will make sure you only have two system.Please learn on how to use a partition table.It helps a lot.

Return to “Beginner Questions”