Overall slowness of some apps to respond

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
arturoui

Overall slowness of some apps to respond

Post by arturoui »

Not a newbie to Linux but Mint is new to me. I jumped ship from Ubuntu 9 (after a year) rather than upgrade to v10. I'm very impressed with Mint. It's far more intuitive than Ubuntu and would make a much better leap into Linux for anyone thinking of dumping Windows for good.

However, after installing it last night, I have some issues.

I click Software Manager and it can take twelve to fifteen seconds for the pop-up box to appear. I timed it.

Firefox also seems to be running much slower than it did with Ubuntu.

Any suggestions? I should add that I googled for info on this and looked in the FAQ's but did not find this particular problem.

System Info:

I'm using Mint on a five year old Sony Vaio RS-702 desktop. P4- 3.2GHz - 1.5GB of memory - 160GB internal disk - ATI Radeon 9600XT graphics card. Mint sits in a 50GB partition - the default suggested during installation routine. Win XP occupies the rest of the disk. External USB devices are: 1TB Iomega hard disk - USB mouse (logitech) - and a 2GB USB stick.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thenewguy

Re: Overall slowness of some apps to respond

Post by thenewguy »

Is it just those two applications? Are they still slow if you open then, immediate close them and then reload? (I'm wondering if it's a disk issue and the second load would be from cache.) Is Synaptic (the other package manager) also slow to load?
arturoui

Post by arturoui »

Synaptic is much quicker. The authentication box pops up instantly then it takes Package Manager about two-three seconds to appear. Still not fast but it's faster than Software Manager which is really slow. It was so unexepected that, to begin with, I thought my mouse click hadn't been recognised and I'd end up with multiple Software Manager screens on my desktop.

Tried to install docky. The install box came up then froze. After about ten seconds, the pop-up box went dark. I assume it had locked/failed. I was just about to click on force quit when it sprang to life again but docky would not install. The installation info box at the bottom of the pop-up box(I assume it shows download progress) showed no signs of life nor did any of the activity lights on my router show that anything was being downloaded.

Then the whole thing froze forcing a reboot.

This is a mystery to me.

I should add that Mint is not sitting atop an old Ubuntu installation. I did a factory re-install on Sunday so the whole computer is as it was out of the box.
arturoui

Post by arturoui »

Ran apt autoclean then apt upgrade just to make sure there was nothing missing.

Tried to reboot....pop-up box came up about AT SPI not responding

I'd noticed it before but ignored it.

Chose to re-boot anyway. Software Manager loads much faster - 4-6 seconds but will not download anything. Tried to dl OpenShot. The router showed signs of activity but SM froze and had to be forced to quit.

I'm beginning to wonder if the Mint ISO I downloaded may have been corrupted. I can offer no other suggestion because my expertise is very limited.
arturoui

Post by arturoui »

Did a clean re-install of Windows XP then a new installation of Mint.

Same problem.

Cannot download software either using Software Manager or Package Manager. Both simply freeze.

Mint clearly is not happy on this machine. Going back to ubuntu.

Return to “Beginner Questions”