[solved] Need opinions on this partition setup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sinister_nation

[solved] Need opinions on this partition setup

Post by sinister_nation »

As I was up all night last night reading every thread and everything concerning partitions, I think I might understand it some. So I layed out my partitions this morning and like to run it by the community if this could work. First let me say my specs are as follow

1TB HDD
AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
2 GB memory

---Start My Partition Layout ---

55GB / Ext 3

extended partition (total 350GB)
*25GB /usr Ext 3
*20GB /var Ext 3
*200GB /home Ext 3

extended partition (total 517GB)
*150GB /videos Ext 3
*75GB /multimedia Ext 3
*150GB /downloads Ext 3

4GB /swap
--- End My Partition Layout ---
the second extended volume with the multimedia, the stuf that would go into this folder would be music and pictures. I wasn't sure about the /swap if it should be put after the / (root) or at the very end, so hopefully some can tell me which is best as far as speed goes. I really do need to hear ewveryone opinions on this setup today, because I'm about finish backing things up on DVD in my windows 7. Since I decided to run with LM as the only OS on this computer.

so you would know I would have 105GB free space in the first extended partition and 142GB free space in the second extended partition in case one of the partition in those extended partition starts getting full I can expand that particuliar partition, since 55Gb should be more than enough for the root, at least I hope so.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
piratesmack

Re: Need opinions on this partition setup

Post by piratesmack »

sinister_nation wrote:
so you would know I would have 105GB free space in the first extended partition and 142GB free space in the second extended partition in case one of the partition in those extended partition starts getting full I can expand that particuliar partition, since 55Gb should be more than enough for the root, at least I hope so.
You'll only be able to add space to the partition that has free space after it.

ex:
extended partition (total 350GB)
*25GB /usr Ext 3 <<No free space after... Can't extend
*20GB /var Ext 3 <<No free space after... Can't extend
*200GB /home Ext 3 <<105 GB of free space after... Extendable
* 105GB free space

You can create an LVM partition, and all of the volumes inside it will have access to the free space, but unfortunately it is difficult to install Mint on LVM volumes.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40961

btw, 55GB for / is probably way more than it needs, especially since you're putting /usr and /home on their own partitions. Personally, I'd go with 2GB for /. (though my hard drive is a lot smaller than yours)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Your original partition scheme shows 2 extended partitions. You are only allowed to open one extended partition per drive. the total of allowed primary partitions is four, of which only one may be extended. Also, if you have an extended partition open, creating a new primary partition automatically closes the extended partition.

Other than those basic rules, almost anything goes in partitioning. you will get as many different opinions as there are responses to your question.

I will not try to tel you how to partition your drive, you know what you want and need better than I. I will direct you to a topic in this forum that will give you all the general knowledge you will need to set up a successful partitioning scheme.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 72&start=0

Read this and you will know more than many who will try to tell you how to partition.

I will say this. I have never used up even 8GB in a /(root) partition in my life. and , if you use a separate data partition and link folders to /home/username you can generally get away with 5 GB or less for /home.

As far as reapportioning free space, there are methods for passing free space from one partition to another until you get it where you need it, but they can be risky since they involve resizing and moving partitions.

With a complete one terabyte drive allocated to Mint, you can set up a series of 100 GB partitions to hold your OS. This will pretty much guarantee that you do not have to reallocate any space.

In a desktop system (which I assume this is with a 1 TB drive) swap is not as critical as in a laptop where everything in ram is loaded to the swap space when you hibernate. Most desktop users may use suspend, but rarely hibernate, and with 2 GB of ram, you will seldom, if ever, use swap in normal operation. So you are free to put it where ever you wish.
sinister_nation

thanxs Aging Technogeek

Ok I have no more windows on this computer, it's now just LM install. as far as the extended partition goes I didn't make any, only because in the custom partition I couldn't figure out how to do it. with all partition set to the size I stated above I have 272.73 GB of free space on my HDD. Who knows one day I might install a second linux in that free space, once I get comfortable in Linux and running it.

I will check that link out Aging Technogeek
Aging Technogeek

Re: [solved] Need opinions on this partition setup

You open an extended partition by creating a logical partition in the partitioning table. The extended is created automatically to enclose the logical partitions.

Once you start creating logical partitions, they will all be enclosed in the same extended partition until a new primary partition is created, closing the extended partition.
sinister_nation

k so the first partition with / is the primary and rest of them is logical partitions
Aging Technogeek

That will work as well as any other scheme.
karuga

Post by karuga »

swap dont have a problem where it is placed.

i really have a big problem with that swap.its too small,compared to the gigantic hard disk you have.
4 gb is just for small programmes and is right if your hard disk is around 200 gb.

since you have enough memory,why not just add swap,so that you can handle "heavy" programmes?

Return to “Beginner Questions”