[SOLVED] Make mounting Windows partition not need sudo

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Re: Make mounting Windows partition not need sudo

Post by viking777 »

As the OP has already had an answer to his original question I hope he won't mind if I carry on and ask one of my own on the same subject.

I learned some valuable stuff from this thread, and I thought I had it sorted out in my mind until I looked at the situation on my Sidux install. On that for the same windows partition I mentioned earlier I have this in fstab:

Code: Select all

dmask=0022,fmask=0133
Now I haven't touched fstab in Sidux so that code is auto generated. What do those entries do for me?

The base permissions for the folder /media/ACER are 0755 and it is owned by Root. In reality I have read only access to it as a user which is what you would expect so I don't really see what the dmask and fmask are doing. Is this something new that replaces umask or is it an extra complication I have to try and get my head around? :?
Fred

Post by Fred »

kudos to altair4! :-)

It is refreshing to see another example of clear, concise, and accurate information being given in a polite, professional manner.

This forum has indeed come a long way in the time I have been popping in and out. :-)

Enjoy life. It is too short to waste it doing otherwise.

Fred
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Fred, Gosh such high praise. But let me make this perfectly clear, everything I know about this subject has come from you so I'm an imperfect reflection of your teachings.

viking777, that really is old school. It's just separating umask into the component parts depending on whether the object is a directory (dmask) or a file (fmask) and it works the same way as umask does.

So a dmask=0022 will turn off write to group and others so all the resulting directories will have permissions of 755

And an fmask=0133 will turn off execute for owner and turn off execute and write for everyone else so the resulting file will have permissions of 644.

In it's purest sense this is exactly the way it should be and replicates what happens by default in a linux filesystem.

The problem with a umask=000 is that it allows all objects to have permissions of 777. You want a 7 on a directory because that enables the execute bit and an execute on a folder means you can open it to see what's inside. But a 7 on a file means you can actually execute it.

I guess it depends on how you're using the ntfs partition. If it's a Windows partition then it's unlikely that a windows executable is going to do any harm to your linux system. But if you have an ntfs partition that is being used to backup your linux system ( and I can't imagine why you would do that ) then it might be a concern. I never use these personally but there's only one user per box here so it's really not a problem to be fixed.

Lordy, I hope I got all that right :lol:
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

You are on a roll altair4 - praise from Fred (I would love to know why he doesn't show up much these days, his input is so good) and on a lesser scale praise from me for yet another simple and understandable explanation.

As a result of your replies I now know all there is to know about Life, The Universe and Everything and will never need to bother you again :wink:

Actually it might seem a bit like that because I am rapidly approaching one of my 'Out of Office' periods and won't be around for a while, but don't worry I will be back again mid-November.

Or perhaps you should worry because I will be back again mid-November :lol:

I'll leave it to you to decide :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”